Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong

mbrocssp

Hatching
Jun 12, 2020
Hello,

I am trying to get better hatch rates, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

We did two sets of hatches a few months ago where we had 30 of 48 hatch and then 25 of 48 hatch. A recent batch had 10 of 48 hatch and our current set does not look like many are going to hatch again.

The eggs come from our backyard, where we have several chickens. The chickens are given a good feed and the eggs are often put into the incubator quickly (within 3 days). In between collection and incubation, we keep them out on the counter and flipped upside down (we live in a very hot and humid climate). Our incubator has trouble getting the humidity down, but only when the A/C isn't on. There was one point when the humidity went up to 70% for about one hour when water began collecting around the base of the incubator. Granted, I did some research that suggested the one hour would not do a lot of damage to the eggs.

Otherwise, for this set, the humidity has been at 45% the whole time and the temperature at 37.5 C, except for one hour when the power went out (the incubator remained closed during this period). Otherwise, the egg turning feature on the incubator works well and I rarely open the incubator after we start.

Given that we seem to get the recommendations correct, I am confused as to how we can't get a better hatch rate. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you!

Details on the incubator such as brand, calibration, thermometer, hygrometer, using the readouts on the machine for temp and humidity without double-checking them, etc would help. Where are you located? Heat can effect fertility with roosters and viability of the eggs in general. How are you disinfecting the incubator in between hatches? Each progressive hatch results in fewer chicks. I imagine it is outside temperature related, but could also be related to bacteria in the incubator.

I have 6 hens with my rooster in my mixed flock, but I think two are too tall for him which leaves 4. So far every egg i have set out to hatch from those four, including 5 under a broody hen have hatched. Most places that do hatching eggs for profit tend to do 4.5 to 5 hens per male

Details on the incubator such as brand, calibration, thermometer, hygrometer, using the readouts on the machine for temp and humidity without double-checking them, etc would help. Where are you located? Heat can effect fertility with roosters and viability of the eggs in general. How are you disinfecting the incubator in between hatches? Each progressive hatch results in fewer chicks. I imagine it is outside temperature related, but could also be related to bacteria in the incubator.

RCom pro 50. Setting at 37.5C. 45% humidity for most the time. Changes to 60% when near hatching.

Noted. I clean it after each hatch, as to prevent bacterial growth. We live in Trinidad (southern Caribbean). Its hot and humid almost every day.

I have 6 hens with my rooster in my mixed flock, but I think two are too tall for him which leaves 4. So far every egg i have set out to hatch from those four, including 5 under a broody hen have hatched. Most places that do hatching eggs for profit tend to do 4.5 to 5 hens per male

Noted.

You should get and additional temp/humidity reader just to be sure your getting accurate readings. So you can see if the incubator might be off it's readings. Plus it gives you peace of mind. Some incubators requires a spot in the house where temp/humidity don't fluctuate a lot ( like a gargage, closet, or basement ). I hope you are checking the eggs for there development, that gives you a better idea of fertility and health.

Back
Top Bottom