Trying to get friendly chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eclipse295, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Eclipse295

Eclipse295 New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    Okay, I want friendly chickens, I have Phoenixes and Silver Laced Wyandottes coming sometime in the next few days. How can I get the chickens to be friendly, like some I have met that had more in common personality-wise with dogs then chickens. I can't figure out how to get them that friendly? Anybody willing to help?

2. Crazyhenlady

Crazyhenlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Everett, Wa
    I have one REALLY friendly hen (so friendly it's annoying! lol) my other hens all started shy but now come up to me because of all the scraps I give them. I have a sliding glass door ( it's in my avatar pic) and about 15 feet away is the coop so they can see me through the door and I can see them (when I'm in the kitchen which is a lot!) . I give them scraps all throughout the day and it works great! I think they all have different personalities so some are more friendly then others. Here is a pic of the REALLY friendly hen[​IMG]

3. Hyline

Hyline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Western Australia
    That is the cutest pic!! Love it [​IMG] all four of my girls are super friendly, we hand raised them indoors as chicks and they just want to around us and get loves! They are hybrid layers so are very docile and sweet.

4. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    I talk to my chickens alot, I think it helps. I also hold them no matter what they say and only let them go when they behave like ladies, dog whispering style.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by