Trying to get my neighbor to give us their chicken-no luck so far

do you know any adults that can help you with the communication barrier? I know you said their daughter translates, but I believe an adult would do a better job.

Quote:
Actually I do know someone - that is a great idea. Hadn't even thought of that.
Though when I went over today, the daughter told me that her dad was thinking of building a hen house and keeping it. I reiterated my offer and will wait and see. I did bring over the waterer which they are now using so I feel better about that. They had changed the water dish to a heavy ceramic one that wouldn't tip over so they are paying attention to that. I printed up some simple plans for a chicken tractor for them that I'm going to run over tomorrow. Apparently the dad had built their dog house so he has some skills.
I did mention again that chickens need a flock or at least a buddy to be happy. Keep y'all posted!

They brought us the chicken tonight! Here's a pic - and I'm posting one over in breed/gender to find out what she is!
She's skittish of the other chickens but they seem to be ignoring her so far. I'm not going to worry about isolating her because she's been alone since she was a chick. We're keeping a close eye on the interactions and we'll see what happens. They just came over with her this afternoon with no warning but seemed glad we were taking her. I think they just needed to make their own decision. She seems friendly and healthy though I think she's a bit stressed right now as she is panting.
58060_marshmallow_1.jpg

But do you know what she is by any chance?? I don't think she realizes she is a chicken! They brought over a big bag of chick starter they were feeding her which was nice. But I'm really curious to know what kind she is.

Quote:
Thank you all for your support! She's a really sweet bird - based on the responses from the breed & gender thread - I'm going with Dominique. Could be a mix but it doesn't really matter - she's got a good home and my daughter is in love with her. I don't think Marshmallow's feet have touched the ground since she's been here.
I think our neighbors are happy she's got a good place to live and we are happy because she's here. Now we just have to see how the dynamics play out.

Back
Top Bottom