Trying to Hatch Eggs from Deceased Hen...

Day 13, the two embryos are doing great. Checked the egg I was unsure about, smelled a slight rotten egg smell coming from it and it was completely dark inside when I candled. Cracked it and found it was rotten. :sickStill wondering if 2 chicks is enough for a Silkie hen?
I had a hen raise 1 chick last year.

Wonderful news everybody! It's Day 19 and I tapped, cheeped, and talked to the chicks inside the eggs and both responded with many pecks and one cheep. I was wondering if this means that they have broken into the air cell?
yes if you can hear them peeping to you then it means they have internally pipped. So should have an external pip with in 24 hrs from when they internally pipped. :) how exciting!

yes if you can hear them peeping to you then it means they have internally pipped. So should have an external pip with in 24 hrs from when they internally pipped. :) how exciting!
Yay!!!! Only one has started peeping. I've named her Maevyn. The other one has only been pecking against the shell, no peeping yet. I haven't named her yet. I want to name her when she hatches! I also wonder if she has zipped as well, if she is pecking? No external pip yet. She peeped around 4:00 PM checked again around 8:00, no peeping, just pecks from both.

Yay!!!! Only one has started peeping. I've named her Maevyn. The other one has only been pecking against the shell, no peeping yet. I haven't named her yet. I want to name her when she hatches! I also wonder if she has zipped as well, if she is pecking? No external pip yet. She peeped around 4:00 PM checked again around 8:00, no peeping, just pecks from both.
you would know if they zipped. They internally pip which is when they start breathing air etc. then up to 24 hrs later the will externally pip and this is when they absorb the yolk and blood vessels etc. up to 24 hrs after the external pip is when they start zipping. This is when they peck around the shell in a circle and hatch out. so zipping is the last thing before hatch and you would see that as it is cracking the shell in a circle.

you would know if they zipped. They internally pip which is when they start breathing air etc. then up to 24 hrs later the will externally pip and this is when they absorb the yolk and blood vessels etc. up to 24 hrs after the external pip is when they start zipping. This is when they peck around the shell in a circle and hatch out. so zipping is the last thing before hatch and you would see that as it is cracking the shell in a circle.
Thank you! This is my first successful hatch so I am not too keen on hatching terms!

Day 20, Maevyn has cracked a hole through the egg and I can clearly hear her chirping and pecking from the inside. Would that be an external pip? The second chick has not made a hole yet but I can hear her chirping and pecking as well. I am so excited to see what they will look like and who their dad is! I have 3 roosters but I expect it will be my lead rooster, Buddy.

Day 20, Maevyn has cracked a hole through the egg and I can clearly hear her chirping and pecking from the inside. Would that be an external pip? The second chick has not made a hole yet but I can hear her chirping and pecking as well. I am so excited to see what they will look like and who their dad is! I have 3 roosters but I expect it will be my lead rooster, Buddy.
Yes, when they break through the shell it's an external pip. Happy hatching!

Yay!!!!! Thank you! Here is some pictures:
WIN_20230804_08_12_46_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230804_08_12_44_Pro (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom