Trying To Help A Chicken Egg Hatch

It can take a few hours to a day or two for the blood vessels to shrink down. While it is in the egg, the chick's blood is flowing through the vessels in the membrane, it is attached to the membrane by an umbilical cord, the same way a human or mammal baby is attached to the placenta. So if you tear into those blood vessels and cause a lot of bleeding, the chick can bleed to death. A little bleeding won't kill the chick, but can make it weak from blood loss, they don't have very much blood at that size! What I do is every few hours moisten the membrane to check the veins, and if they are still big and red, close the incubator and leave things alone. It might help protect the other eggs if you open it only long enough to carefully take that egg out and close it right away, and handle that egg (briefly so you don't chill it) outside the incubator, then put it back in when you're done. That way you don't drop the humidity enough to shrink wrap all the chicks--in which case, you'd have to help them all out. It's possible you've already done that, so if any chick pips the egg shell but doesn't make much progress within 48 hours, you'll have to decide to help or just "let nature take its course".

I have found a good rule to follow when it comes to deciding when or if to help out chick. I wait 24 hours after it has started peeping before I pip the shell for it (usually at the large end of shell or where ever the airsac is, candle egg). Sometimes the shell is too hard for them to get through. They often take long breaks in between the first peeping til they break through, hours to overnight. When peeling shell off chick first try not to break the white skin and look for veins, if they look to be vile or still have blood in it give it more time because the chick has not absorbed the yolk. If veins are very thin not full of blood any more then carefully slowly take shell off piece at a time watching for bleeders, squeeze vein til clots if you break one. Be careful around its bottom thats where the ''umbilical cord'' is. Let the chick get a few deep breaths before pinching off the cord. If you had to break it out then the peeps probably been through a lot. Put a small pinch of sugar in a teaspoon of water and place drops on chicks beak getting it to drink about 7 drops then again in 20 minutes and again if it seems weak. If it passes it was never going to be a viable bird they often die in the shell at different stages and can live right up to hatch date or later and still not able to live, which means it was the best thing to happen. But does not make it any easier on us. God Bless

chickens have unbilical cords? wow, so thats what the black tube lokin thing is in there huh?

now I really dont know what to do! none of my eggs are piping or ziping or anything...the just chirp alot at night

I'm not a pro, I've only hatched on chick. I recently gave up on some in my incubator that turned out to be good... but if there is one piece of advise that I can give you, not based on experience, but common sense. You have to step away from that incubator. You just have to stop. If I've followed correctly you're at day 23 or 24? You interviened at day 21? It's kind of like human babies... 40 weeks is the round about cook time for a baby, but sometimes they come a day or so late, early etc. I really think you need to just leave the incubator be for a day or so.

Back
Top Bottom