Trying to remedy a possible disaster.

tfwall

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2015
Hi Folks,

I hate to have to bring this to the table, but I have a potentially fatal issue, that I need feedback/advice on.

3 days ago, I hung a treat in the coop for my girls, when I returned, one of them had somehow managed to get the string down from the rafter that I had it suspended from. I still have not figured out how she did this, but she did.

Anyway, by my estimation she has swallowed approx. 6 foot of nylon cord. I gently tried to remove it and was rewarded by a 6 inch gain. So I cut it off and have been observing her, but I can't find signs of impacted crop.

There has been no signs of regurgitated food or string in the hen house

no strange or discolored droppings piles

and actually right now, I had a hard time determining which hen did it.

I purchased items for an emergency crop surgery, but now I wonder if I should wait a little longer.

I have 2 RIR's and tonight, I am not 100% positive which hen is in danger, and I sure as heck don't wanna operate on the wrong hen.
In my panic to research what I could do, I didn't even think to separate or mark her, so I would know. I just would...yeah that worked well.

I have brought the hens into my house one at a time, so I can monitor her eating/drinking habits, as well as her droppings, to see if she is pooping or not. Neither crop is hard or "growing" over the last 2 days, matter of fact, I am having trouble locating it tonight.

Dang it all, the second "suspect" just pooped a normal pile like the first one, they both eat, drink and poop, and show no signs of distress!

How long should I wait?

What sure telltale signs should I be looking for?

Would it be possible that she may pass this on her own?

Any help would be appreciated

I am a bit saddened that you cut it off.
I had a goose do this same thing years ago. Now mind you it was a goose not a small hen.
It was something that had blown in the pen from a neighbors yard.
I took her to the animal emergency vet where they worked on her for 6 hours. Lots of lube and gentle pulling to get it back out the way it went in.

Since it is nylon I doubt she will pass it on her own. It is not digestable.
I am hoping that the small stones they eat to grind food up may help you hen demolish it into passable sized pieces.

I would watch them closely since you are not sure which one ate it and be prepared for the worst.

I am a bit saddened that you cut it off.
I had a goose do this same thing years ago. Now mind you it was a goose not a small hen.
It was something that had blown in the pen from a neighbors yard.
I took her to the animal emergency vet where they worked on her for 6 hours. Lots of lube and gentle pulling to get it back out the way it went in.

Since it is nylon I doubt she will pass it on her own. It is not digestable.
I am hoping that the small stones they eat to grind food up may help you hen demolish it into passable sized pieces.

I would watch them closely since you are not sure which one ate it and be prepared for the worst.

my problem here is that there isnt a vet in my area that is even remotely interested in helping me out.

My thing is, that since the crop isn't bulging, is the digestive system, starting to work it over? Without an xray I am lost tho lol. I wonder if I can sneak her into the hospital x-ray lab...hmmm. Well as I said, I have the stuff on hand now for the surgery if it comes to that, i just hope if its passing thru it keeps going. As much as I can be, I am prepared. Thanks

If you can't feel the rope in the chicken's crop, there isn't much you can do other than hope that it is working through the digestive system.

When it reaches the "end of the digestive system", if you get my drift, do not pull on it. Let it come out naturally. It would be OK to cut it off. But, let it come out naturally.

enola, That was my thought, that maybe it has started working though. What worries me there is that if she has, theres nothing further I can do but wait.

And as for pulling it...NO WAY ;-) I do not want to cause the poor girl any more grief/damage than she already has. I carry a pair of scissors out with me every time I go out, just in case she has a "pink trailer". I guess now it's hurry up and wait.

enola: She is fine. I am tfwall's DW. The hen is doing perfectly fine, eating pooping and seems no worse for the wear. One would thing by this time there should be something. We are just hoping that somehow it has been broken up and passed in the poop (it would have to change colors too as it was florescent pink). Any thoughts on this?

Back
Top Bottom