Trying to save some chickens

Trae V

Hatching
Mar 17, 2016
So I bought 3 chickens that were in a large egg laying vacilities with hundreds of other birds I felt sorry for them and thought I could give a few of them a better life they are 18 months old only have about half there feathers and there beaks are only half as long as a normal chickens I'm guessing from always pecking on hard concrete? Is there anything I can do to help them grow those feathers back faster and will there beaks ever be back to normal size any help would be appreciated?

Nutrena/Nature Wise makes a feed called "Feather Fixer" that is supposed to aid in regrowth of feathers (such as during a molt). You could try that if you are able to find it at a local feed store.

Howdy Trae V

First up a huge KUDOS to you for giving these gals a second chance at a great life!
clap.gif

Increased protein will help with the feather regrowth:
Cooked eggs
Fish
Mealworms
Sunflower seeds and many other treats will help with the protein increase.

If their beaks have been clipped as a day old chick, then no it will not grow back. Chicken’s beaks do grow but also wear down with use so as long as it is just the tip it should grow back.

Please let us know how they go .. lucky, lucky girls to have found you!

Their beaks will never be full length. They have undergone a procedure called debeaking in which they cut part of the beak off. This is to stop them from mutilating and eating each other in the cramped quarters in which they are kept.

For growing feathers back, help them out with that by feeding them a high protein feed. Feather fixer is one option or a chick feed will work, too. Make sure if you do this and they are still laying eggs you offer them oyster shell for the calcium.

Thanks for the advice I'm gonna check out the feed store tomorrow hopefully my other 5 will accept them into the flock and they can thrive in my back yard

Back
Top Bottom