madelyn13

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2019
Hello! My fiancé and I recently decided to get some chickens for the first time. We’re all set with supplies, a coop, etc. We know what breeds we like and city ordinance says we can’t have roosters. The only ones I’ve found that meet our needs are from Craigslist.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/d/smithville-chickens-bantam-frizzle-and/6960711018.html

I’ve been talking to the lady and think we should get our chickens from her, but my fiancé is worried about the quality. He thinks the price is too low compared to what we’ve been seeing if we want a good chicken. We’re really just looking for pets, nothing show quality. Obviously I want them to be healthy lil girls but this seems to be the going price on Craigslist. I know you get what you pay for but are these going to be poor quality/unhealthy? Does anyone more experienced have an opinion/any advice?

Last edited:
I don't think that's cheap. And I agree that I would avoid the frizzles. They need more weather protection than chickens with normal feathers. Are you hoping to get lots of eggs? What size eggs do you want? Because Silkies can be fair layers through the spring and summer, but you probably won't get many eggs in the winter. And their eggs are small. They are nice little chickens, though, and crossed with an Easter Egger, the female offspring can be excellent broody hens.

Welcome to BYC eggcited to have you here with us. if you want good stock you make sure to find a reputable breeder, and they usually breed for show but ones that don't meet show quality standards are often sold at pet prices too. I have had good luck with both back yard breeders/hatchers and even some hatcheries, it all depends on what purpose you want the chickens for. I have never shown my chickens but they are all very people friendly and handle well.

Thanks for the replies! Turns out there was a miscommunication and he wasn’t trying to tell me they were too cheap but! I still appreciate the help!! It definitely is helping us make our decision, especially with the frizzles. We’re not super worried about eggs I just love animals and have always wanted chickens haha.

Thanks for the replies! Turns out there was a miscommunication and he wasn’t trying to tell me they were too cheap but! I still appreciate the help!! It definitely is helping us make our decision, especially with the frizzles. We’re not super worried about eggs I just love animals and have always wanted chickens haha.
that's plenty easy to do, glad it got straightened out and ya got some good info to help you make your decisions. time to let the chicken math commence lol

By the way you tend to get friendlier chicks,pullets from a small back yard breeder as they have the time to hand raise them as they aren't dealing with quite so many

Silkies are special chickens. Look fluffy, quit tame and the ones in Europe lay in wintertime some eggs too. But there are some things you have to consider if buying them.

1 They sleep in the nest boxes. So its gets dirty in there.
2 Its very difficult to see the difference between a pullet an a young rooster. Make sure you get only girls. Most breeders can tell after 12 weeks. Not with 6.
3 They get broody all the time. This is not something you can ignore.

If you dont have a rooster you can't hatch eggs. So I don't understand the discusion about frizzles en off-spring. Frizzle is not a breed but a type within a breed.

Back
Top Bottom