TSC chicks vaccinated or unvaccinated?

Yeah I will give them medicated they have been on medicated since day one … but now at week 5/6 I change to non medicated I still have half a bag of medicated left so I guess I just switch their food back to medicated. They have been on non medicated maybe for 5 days so I guess no problem to switch back ? Thanks for the help

TSC gets most of its chicks from Hoovers, Hoovers does not vaccinate except at request (and for an additional charge). In that respect, they are like most large commercial hatcheries. TSC chooses not to pay that additional charge, and I don't believe they give owners going thru them with the poultry 10-packs the option, either.

Nope, still no option to vaccinate.
Thanks

Medicated feeds in the US are typically medicated with a coccidiastat, Amprolium. Its not an anti-bacterial, and anti-viral, or anthing like that. Its a Thiamine-antagonist, and disrupts coccidia's ability to take up the thaimine it needs to thrive, allowing your birds digestive system to keep coccidia in check. Once your bird's immune system is fully developed, its generally not needed (and arguably, isn't needed ever - its insurance, not a mandatory measure). Coccidia are present in essentially every environment humans have been - you can't get rid of them, only keep them under control - much like the mix of good and bad "bugs" in your own gut.

There is no withdrawal period for Amprolium, you can eat eggs from chickens fed medicated (with Aprolium) feeds - and if you've ever eaten supermarket eggs, you likely have. Battery hen operations have provided medicated feed all the productive flock's life for literally decades - it was being studied in the early 70s, when the decision was made regarding withdrawal periods, and is re-assessed periodically.

We give herbal tonics for immune boosters. I've raised 4 batches of chicks over 3years and never fed medicated feed only organic. No vaccines. I've only lost 1 chick at 3weeks old but it was also a weak one that was a shipped egg and need help getting out of the shell.

It's a personal choice in care of flocks.
Just making sure they are in healthy living conditions, clean water & food.

Yeah I will give them medicated they have been on medicated since day one … but now at week 5/6 I change to non medicated I still have half a bag of medicated left so I guess I just switch their food back to medicated. They have been on non medicated maybe for 5 days so I guess no problem to switch back ? Thanks for the help
The medicated is for prevention of coccidiosis, but it doesn't always work because cocci live in the soil. It's best to provide them with some dirt from your yard to scratch around in. They will become accustomed to the cocci in your location and most likely won't have an issue later.

If it isn't specified, it's unlikely the chicks are vaccinated against anything. If they are vaccinated the store should let you know what they're vaccinated against. The 2 feed stores I've gotten chicks from both specified they're vaccinated against Mareks.

Just to reiterate what others have said for clarity:
  • The vaccines in question ate for Marek's disease
  • Medicated chick feed is to prevent coccidiosis
  • You can feed medicated feed to vaccinated chicks, no prob
  • You can usually switch feed from medicated to unmedicated and vice-versa without issue (unless your birds are finicky)

Mystery officially solved
Screenshot_20211014-153352.png

Ok that’s good to know I didn’t use medicated with my other 4 before, but someone mention I should be doing medicated with the babies. Just want to know since I’m still pretty new when it comes to rising chicks.
To each his own but I ALWAYS use medicated feed for the first two months. Wrt 'organic', I always like to remind people that poisonous snake bite, botulism poisonous mushrooms are 'organic' too - but that doesn't make those things 'good'. ;)

Back
Top Bottom