1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

TSC chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ms Ellen, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    Yesterday I went to TSC for chicks and they had two bins set up. One with straight run golden comets for $1.86 and the other with sexed pullets for $2.34. OK that's funny [​IMG]. The whole POINT of sexlinks is I can pick out the girls. I get that someone might want roos but why not just put all the pullets in the pullet bin and charge less for the boys? So I picked out six girls from the straight run bin for much less than if I had ordered them. Too funny. Pity the poor person who comes along when there are only roos left and doesn't know any better.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. Fowl Visions

Fowl Visions Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I checked out our local Tractor Supply and they didn't even know what breed they were. They had three bins full and were selling straight run and pullets that looked like leghorns to me.

3. LoriAS

LoriAS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    can you give me a quick lesson or a link about how to tell the hens from the roos in these young chicks sold at TSC??

4. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    i was at TSC last night eyeballin them chicki's and they had a bin with some 2 week old chicks. it was listed as pullets only, yet i saw at least 5 BR's that look like Roo's. i asked the girl workign there if she was sure the BR's were pullets and she didnt even know which ones i was talking about lol. oy vey.

5. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    There have been a lot of good posts on here lately about sexing Barred Rock chicks, search that for pictures. Basically the pullets are darker and have a smaller, clearer spot usually and usually darker fronts to the legs too. That is not 100 percent though. Maybe not even 90 percent.

Sex links can be easily sexed, they are crosses that produce chicks (and adults) that are different colors depending on sex . The dark ones are the hens and the light ones are the roos. So if it says Black Star or Red Star or Red Comet or Cinnamon Queen or ISA brown (there are other names too) those are breed crosses so that you can see the pullets at first glance. They are great layers but as hybrids don't breed true. If you really can't have a roo though this is the way to go to be sure.

6. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I picked out 5 yellow/white chicks at TSC yesterday and was thinking maybe they were Leghorns, White Rocks or Ideal 236s. But I called back there today and the guy went to get the sticker from the box the chicks came in. He said they were AmberLink chicks. I hadn't heard of them before, but Google was a big help. I also got 5 Red Sex Links. All my TSC had were pullets, supposedly.

Heres my yellow Amberlink chicks.
    [​IMG]

And the RSLs
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by