TSC coop mod project

CoffeeKat

Chirping
Jul 29, 2021
Southeast Tn
Title says it all! I had this coop happen to me and I’m playing surgeon to fix it up for my small flock. I thought I could do a photo journey of my modifications to this TSC sentinel coop that many have!

Here is my initial starting point
4451EF8A-0830-4E3B-842C-AF1D223C7E39.jpeg
B601A809-84DA-485D-8F24-466592CE1DF1.png

The first thing I wanted to do was to get it off the ground. Given that I’m on a budget, I was able to get a large pallet for free from a business and attach some ply to the top. I sanded this all down and I’m preparing to seal it for a little longevity.

It’s about a foot longer on the front, so I would like to maintain some potted plants like a “porch” for the chickens to peck at.
9799132F-9E6D-4571-9D23-4433B0148AC5.jpeg

Attachments

• FEE4D2B6-351B-422A-9409-3C819F989F34.jpeg
    FEE4D2B6-351B-422A-9409-3C819F989F34.jpeg
    797.1 KB · Views: 18
Documenting this is a great idea. It will help others in the future.

One note though,

While getting the coop up off the ground is probably a good idea, the area under the pallet is likely to attract rodents to what they'd see as a cozy nesting area. :(

Concrete blocks or pavers would be better supports, leaving nowhere that rodents can get to that the chickens can't pursue them. :)

I was wondering about things I could do to rectify this situation so I’m glad you brought that up.
I was afraid of sagging if it was put up on pavers since the coop is all metal framed. How would it fair if I used some hardwire cloth on the underside and around the sides as well?

I was wondering about things I could do to rectify this situation so I’m glad you brought that up.
I was afraid of sagging if it was put up on pavers since the coop is all metal framed. How would it fair if I used some hardwire cloth on the underside and around the sides as well?

If you used block all the way around underneath it wouldn't sag.

It's good for chickens to have access to the ground so that they can scratch and dustbathe and they always seem to like hanging out under the coop when it's possible. :)

Mods: forgive the premature post here, but I think I have decided to scrap this project and just build a hoop coop.

By the time I spend the money to get it where I want it, I’m afraid I’m going to Frankenstein my way into something expensive that is still a square peg in a round hole situation given our climate.

Feel free to remove this thread.

Mods: forgive the premature post here, but I think I have decided to scrap this project and just build a hoop coop.

By the time I spend the money to get it where I want it, I’m afraid I’m going to Frankenstein my way into something expensive that is still a square peg in a round hole situation given our climate.

It's a good record of how you thought through the problem that might help someone else in the same situation. :)

The final straw was the giant swath of rain we had over the past week. The coop leaks like a sieve and my nesting boxes were totally drenched. So I had to get a tarp to keep the girls dry.

so I thought:

“I’m literally draping a tarp over a roofed coop that isn’t doing its job when I could
Just use a tarp built around a simple hoop coop to do a better job in every aspect.”

I have them temporarily up on my pallet I made just to get them off the ground. I’ll be building this fall in its permanent location.

They won't delete unless you want them to.
Or they could just close it to any further replies if you'd like that option.
Either way,
click the 'report' icon on the bottom left of the first post here and tell them what you want to do.

Leaving the thread here to read would be a good education/word of warning for others who are searching this topic.

I don’t mind either way. My aquarium forum I’m on likes to close up old threads so I wasn’t sure how moderators liked to handle it here. I don’t mind it remaining open in case anyone wants to ask any questions down the road. 😊

Back
Top Bottom