Sad but true.

The Employees aren't trained to ID chicks. Chicks sometimes get mixed up. They have a limited number of stock tanks, and usually more breeds on hand (plus the back, where they are sometimes monitored before being offered for sale). and they don't come in individual breed packages from the hatchery (well, they do for some, but only due to quantity - like the CX).

Basically, "mistakes were made" is a safe assumption anytime chicks are labeled at TSC. At least your store did you the courtesy of not claiming to know, by removing labels...

Agree on the CX, btw. and don't dispute the EE IDs, though I've not had any myself. My TSC gets birds from Hover's Hatchery (most TSCs seem to, but possibly not all). They routinely try to stock SLW and GLW, I've neve seen them offer a Blue Wyan locally, but they are claiming blue GLWs as "new" for this year - looks like one of Hoover's new lines - so its not a hard "no".

Basically, "mistakes were made" is a safe assumption anytime chicks are labeled at TSC. At least your store did you the courtesy of not claiming to know, by removing labels...

Last year, when I bought farm store chicks instead of ordering from the hatchery directly, I made a point of looking up what the chicks of the breeds I wanted were supposed to look like.

Perhaps a mix of some sort? Looking at pictures of Silver Laced Wyandotte chicklings, I would say it definitely contains that.
If it were a pure Blue Wyandotte, it would be mainly blue, none of those intricate facial markings, and I have a BW (Blue Wyandotte).
Blue and blue laced are different. Im almost certain its a blr, since my BLG looked almost identical

So I bought a bunch of chickens from TSC and I began researching the breeds only to find that pictures online look nothing like what I bought. Can anyone help me identify these breeds?
View attachment 2833395
Comb Type: Pea

Color: Black and white (Feathers coming in black)

Leg Color: Black with pink feet

Temperament: Fearless/agressive (one of them flogged my phone while taking pictures)

Sold as: not labeled

View attachment 2833414

Color: Brown and white (Feathers coming in brown and black)

Leg Color: pink/brown

Temperament: skittish and very food motivated

Sold as: not labeled

View attachment 2833423
(I'm pretty sure this is a Cornish Cross)
Comb Type: single

Color: yellow (Feathers coming in white)

Leg Color: orange

Temperament: lazy and very food motivated

Sold as: Barred Rock

View attachment 2833425

Color: Brown I guess? Just look at the picture lol

Leg Color: green

Temperament: bossy

Sold as: Ameraucana

View attachment 2833426
(Looks like a Wyandotte maybe?)
Comb Type: pea or rose it won't let me catch it

Color: idk what to call that

Temperament: skittish

Sold as: Barred Rock

View attachment 2833429
(I think TSC is right for this one)
Comb Type: rose

Color: Black and white (Feathers coming in Barred)

Temperament: idk I just bought them

Sold as: Dominique

View attachment 2833433
(The chick in the middle)
Comb Type: rose

Color: ???

Temperament: bossy

Sold as: Blue Laced Wyndotte

I'll post more in the morning, it's too dark to get good pictures now.
I’m a newer chicken owner, but the first one looks like one I got from TSC last year that turned out to be an Austrlotp hen with a weird tiny comb.

The one you’ve been told is a barred rock looks like what my BR hen, Poppy Seed (Chicken), looked like as a chick.

The Cornish cross looks similar to a Buff Orph. chick I got last year that was labeled as Cornish cross, but indeed turned out to be a big, beautiful Buff Orph. Sadly she passed away recently.

Number five, indeed looks like an EE. I currently have a ~7 week old pullet from a responsible breeder that was sold to me as an EE. They could be twins.

The others, look cute as hell. That is all. Good luck with the little babies! Post an update at some point maybe.

Not sure what goes on store to store. The TSCs here locally have been pretty good about sorting, but I did notice one odd looking chick amongst all the others. Even not knowing what she was, I bought her anyway. She is indeed some sort of mix, but I knew that, I like her. It's not like I'm entering any shows so it's OK, she lays beautiful eggs.

Here are some pics of TSC chicks I bought
(all grown now)
Copper Marans
Gold Lace Wyandotte
Buff Orpington
ISA Brown
Rhode Island Red

The last 2 pics you can see the "Golden Girl" mix. Maybe she's Gold Lace Wyandotte & Buff Orpington...don't really know.

20210902_152359.jpg 20210906_174006.jpg 20210909_201730.jpg 20210902_213839.jpg 20210922_165155.jpg 20211008_181439.jpg 1601489428547_image.png 20211107_152959.jpg
20220111_103953.jpg 20220111_104413.jpg 20220111_104257.jpg 20220111_103849.jpg 20211107_154352.jpg

Not sure what goes on store to store. The TSCs here locally have been pretty good about sorting, but I did notice one odd looking chick amongst all the others. Even not knowing what she was, I bought her anyway. She is indeed some sort of mix, but I knew that, I like her. It's not like I'm entering any shows so it's OK, she lays beautiful eggs.

Here are some pics of TSC chicks I bought
(all grown now)
Copper Marans
Gold Lace Wyandotte
Buff Orpington
ISA Brown
Rhode Island Red

The last 2 pics you can see the "Golden Girl" mix. Maybe she's Gold Lace Wyandotte & Buff Orpington...don't really know.

View attachment 3053310View attachment 3053312View attachment 3053313View attachment 3053314View attachment 3053317View attachment 3053319View attachment 3053325View attachment 3053322
View attachment 3053334View attachment 3053338View attachment 3053344View attachment 3053347View attachment 3053349
Wow! Very nice set up. Do you sell eggs for profit? Or just love chickens?!

Wow! Very nice set up. Do you sell eggs for profit? Or just love chickens?!
It all began with 2 chickens 😆
(How many times have you heard that!)
1 Roo & 1 Hen
Chicken math happened & yes, I love them! ❤️
I do sell eggs at a local family owned market, that's a bonus helping pay for feed, but I have a few seniors that don't lay much. It's OK, I just absolutely love them for their personalities. They make me laugh every day, & that outweighs the egg value. ❤️

It all began with 2 chickens 😆
(How many times have you heard that!)
1 Roo & 1 Hen
Chicken math happened & yes, I love them! ❤️
I do sell eggs at a local family owned market, that's a bonus helping pay for feed, but I have a few seniors that don't lay much. It's OK, I just absolutely love them for their personalities. They make me laugh every day, & that outweighs the egg value. ❤️
So cool. I’d have a chicken complex if I had the time and money!

Back
Top Bottom