TSC gave wrong chick- I was given a Leghorn and I have concerns

I missed the fact that TSC was "Tractor Supply". I thought it was a hatchery I hadn't heard of. I'm not surprised that they took the chick back, since the only thing they have to protect is their job and their till. At least the bird will get a home, rather than the chopping block. Happy ending!
I'm suprised they did because it's against the law for them to.

So I was given a leghorn instead of a Wyandotte yesterday. I even asked if they were SURE it was a Wyandotte and they said yes. I didn’t think so but this is my first time owning them so I took it home. Being my first time owning chickens I can only go off what I’ve read/heard- and living in a neighborhood I’m looking for docile, quiet, friendly chickens. I didn’t think leghorns sounded like what I wanted and was trying to avoid getting one. So- are my concerns valid? If I took this chick back tomorrow and asked to return it (TSC) does anyone know if they would A) take it back? B) resell it or if they would C)kill it or something? I don’t want it to be killed. It seems really healthy and robust... but I don’t know what my options are or how serious my concerns really are.
Thanks
Exactly what I said too the TSC gods.. "gave wrong chick-" My run is full to the brim with a mix of god knows what.. Chick Days and Grandkids.. Parents should grow up. Doubt they'd take it back. Exposure to diseases and all.. Sure I'll catch heck from some Karen or Darrin.. As I have not read the whole of this menagerie.. but you'll be fine. Relax, go with the flow.. There are no bad chickens, just bad chicken farmers.. variety is the spice of life, Job 6:6 Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in the white of an egg?

Try calling the tsc and ask the manager.
Sadly a lot of people who work at farm stores arnt super knowledgeable on farming and ranching. They may have been shipped these birds with wrong labels or no labels(I know Hoover’s has done this quite a few times) and the employees have to try and figure it out or just go with what the hatchery told them. Unless they are lucky enough to have a poultry person working there.

I was at a tsc a few days before Easter and there was a brooder full of Cornish cross chicks, they were shipped with no lable, and no one who worked there knew much about chickens. So this couple got a hecking good deal on 29 Cornish cross chicks. Which was just just the breed they were looking for.

My personal experience, about 50% of the chicks we got last April from TSC were not the breed they were supposed to be. For example, we got two chicks that were supposed to be silver laced Wyandotte's that ended up being spangled hamburgs (not even a breed they advertised as having...)
Not sure some of the folks that work in the stores know the difference between breeds tbh - and neither did we at the time. We were chicken newbies and really had no idea we got the wrong breeds until they were probably 9-12 weeks old. We love our birds, regardless - but I would not necessarily rely on the 'experts' at TSC if you're trying to get/avoid very specific breeds.

I have an Australorp (who TSC had in the Jersey Giant bin...) that insists on informing everyone in a 5 mile radius when she is planning to lay an egg - she is very sweet and docile, but is rather noisy. And a blue jersey giant that 'talks' more than any of my other chickens, usually very loudly and I am pretty sure she is always mad at the world :)

My personal experience, about 50% of the chicks we got last April from TSC were not the breed they were supposed to be. For example, we got two chicks that were supposed to be silver laced Wyandotte's that ended up being spangled hamburgs (not even a breed they advertised as having...)
Not sure some of the folks that work in the stores know the difference between breeds tbh - and neither did we at the time. We were chicken newbies and really had no idea we got the wrong breeds until they were probably 9-12 weeks old. We love our birds, regardless - but I would not necessarily rely on the 'experts' at TSC if you're trying to get/avoid very specific breeds.

I have an Australorp (who TSC had in the Jersey Giant bin...) that insists on informing everyone in a 5 mile radius when she is planning to lay an egg - she is very sweet and docile, but is rather noisy. And a blue jersey giant that 'talks' more than any of my other chickens, usually very loudly and I am pretty sure she is always mad at the world :)
Most of the people who work at TSC are just young kids who needed a job. They have no experience with agriculture or livestock whatsoever and wouldn't be able to tell one breed of chicken from another if their life depended on it.

My DH was in there last fall looking for a bucket hanger for our horse stall. None of the kids working that day had ever heard of such a thing and were convinced that they didn't sell such a contraption. :rolleyes: DH left that store, drove to a different TSC the next day and got the bucket hanger.

Most of the people who work at TSC are just young kids who needed a job. They have no experience with agriculture or livestock whatsoever and wouldn't be able to tell one breed of chicken from another if their life depended on it.

My DH was in there last fall looking for a bucket hanger for our horse stall. None of the kids working that day had ever heard of such a thing and were convinced that they didn't sell such a contraption. :rolleyes: DH left that store, drove to a different TSC the next day and got the bucket hanger.
That's almost funny, but so annoying that he had to go elsewhere to get it just because they didn't know enough to help him. 😕

Here's one of my experiences: asked about hay, was told they didn't have hay...but they had straw. 🙄 As most of us know, you can't just sub straw for hay. My rabbits would have been pretty ticked off..!

That's almost funny, but so annoying that he had to go elsewhere to get it just because they didn't know enough to help him. 😕

Here's one of my experiences: asked about hay, was told they didn't have hay...but they had straw. 🙄 As most of us know, you can't just sub straw for hay. My rabbits would have been pretty ticked off..!

I wish I had a hidden camera to record my interaction with their employee about a month ago in regards to questions about electric fence components. That poor kid was like a deer in the headlights. After a few minutes of sounding like he had marbles in his mouth, he finally admitted he knew nothing about electric fences nor was there anyone in the store who would know.

I missed the fact that TSC was "Tractor Supply". I thought it was a hatchery I hadn't heard of. I'm not surprised that they took the chick back, since the only thing they have to protect is their job and their till. At least the bird will get a home, rather than the chopping block. Happy ending! The store owner said he would take it back but the livestock manager said she wouldn’t and I was concerned about his well-being anyway so I didn’t actually give it back I just bought a fifth chick 🤷🏼‍♀️ Which is cool because the Leghorn has quite a personality so far and isn’t noisy at all (so far)

Exactly what I said too the TSC gods.. "gave wrong chick-" My run is full to the brim with a mix of god knows what.. Chick Days and Grandkids.. Parents should grow up. Doubt they'd take it back. Exposure to diseases and all.. Sure I'll catch heck from some Karen or Darrin.. As I have not read the whole of this menagerie.. but you'll be fine. Relax, go with the flow.. There are no bad chickens, just bad chicken farmers.. variety is the spice of life, Job 6:6 Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in the white of an egg?
I kept it even though they offered to take it back. And also got one of the one I originally wanted. I went back into tractor supply this past weekend and all of them were discounted to $.50 and I wanted to take them all but I live in the city and there’s a limit😭 and as a first time chicken owner five is probably more than enough for me to try and keep an eye on until I learn what’s normal and can make sure I understand that they’re healthy and happy. But I’m happy :)

Back
Top Bottom