TSC gave wrong chick- I was given a Leghorn and I have concerns

X2! My Easter egger mix is the loudest in my flock. She comes and screams at my door anytime she wants anything. Lots of people here on BYC can agree EE's are loud as hell, as well. šŸ˜‚
Well I hope mine aren't too loud. I fell in love with them from a book I read when I was like 10... a very very long time ago lol. I don't want to have to send them to my cousins.

OK Long story coming....

This morning I called the TSC and explained the situation to the cashier and asked what my options were. She put me on hold to ask the manager and he told her I could RETURN the chick! since it had only been 2 days. I was really surprised as some have pointed out that isn't really a safe practice. I also wasn't sure what would be done with it... So I asked if I could just BUY one more of the CORRECT chick if I brought in my proof of purchase.... she asked the manager and they said NO. I had to buy FOUR MORE :he. At this point I'm just grasping for options... I ask if they even have any of the chick that I want left. Well cashier phone lady doesn't know... she will find out she says. She cold transfers me to Livestock, where I'm confused and awkward and re-explain the story all over again. She at first didn't think they had any Wyandottes left, but I told her to look with the leghorns and sure enough there were still some there. So I explained being told to return the chick and she says "well we cant take a return that could endanger the others". I said well I didn't THINK so but the manager said. I went out on a limb and asked her if I could come buy one of the correct ones, and she said that would be fine, she could do that. I asked her if I left right that minute and came to the store if she could guarantee there would be one there for me, and she said yes. So I throw on actual clothes and make a dash down thereto get the chick. I got there and explained to her about how I had even asked the guy if he was SURE that chick was a Wyandotte and he had said YES. She asked what he looked like and I described him as best I could. She goes and points behind me and says... " Is that him?" I looked and indeed... I was about 85% sure it was him. I explained I was pretty sure but was paying more attention to the chicks. I didn't wanna cause a scene šŸ˜„. She said " Oh, he's our manager, if you had asked him about a Duck he'd have known exactly what you needed but...." šŸ¤£ I ask her to make sure the cashier will let me buy just one chick since the manager had told her no, and she radios up to the front and I pay for my little chickie and rush home with her.

:love

(She also assured me Leghorns were fantastic good chickens and seemed a little confused as to why I wanted a wyandotte so much but you know, people get their heart or mind set on something sometimes and it just has to happen lol)

What a headache. I've never had issue getting just 1 or 2 chicks, but I've never bought birds from TSC either (nor is there a state policy that requires you buy a certain number of birds). I just tell the employees at the feed store that I want a chick with the same hatch date as the ones I have at home and that's it.

What a headache. I've never had issue getting just 1 or 2 chicks, but I've never bought birds from TSC either (nor is there a state policy that requires you buy a certain number of birds). I just tell the employees at the feed store that I want a chick with the same hatch date as the ones I have at home and that's it.
I hadn't heard of any local stores to shop before all this, but I looked after this mess and there are a few I could check out. I don't know what their variety of options would be and I'm probably set for a several years now... but it wouldn't hurt to scope them out.

So I was given a leghorn instead of a Wyandotte yesterday. I even asked if they were SURE it was a Wyandotte and they said yes. I didnā€™t think so but this is my first time owning them so I took it home. Being my first time owning chickens I can only go off what Iā€™ve read/heard- and living in a neighborhood Iā€™m looking for docile, quiet, friendly chickens. I didnā€™t think leghorns sounded like what I wanted and was trying to avoid getting one. So- are my concerns valid? If I took this chick back tomorrow and asked to return it (TSC) does anyone know if they would A) take it back? B) resell it or if they would C)kill it or something? I donā€™t want it to be killed. It seems really healthy and robust... but I donā€™t know what my options are or how serious my concerns really are.
Thanks
I love leghorns, personally, hence my profile pic. They're fast, and they're "flighty", and very attractive, IMO. And mine have been fantastic egg-layers. They're not docile like my Orpingtons and Cochins have been, but they're by no means noisy or otherwise troublesome, in my experience. The pearl-white one I have now only ever makes a low whistling sound. She also lays large, clean, white eggs with gratifying frequency. If the hatchery were to take back your bird, which would surprise me, they'd almost certainly stick it in the chipper. There are probably (quite sensible) biohazard protocols that would preclude it's re-entry to the hatchery.

OK Long story coming....

This morning I called the TSC and explained the situation to the cashier and asked what my options were. She put me on hold to ask the manager and he told her I could RETURN the chick! since it had only been 2 days. I was really surprised as some have pointed out that isn't really a safe practice. I also wasn't sure what would be done with it... So I asked if I could just BUY one more of the CORRECT chick if I brought in my proof of purchase.... she asked the manager and they said NO. I had to buy FOUR MORE :he. At this point I'm just grasping for options... I ask if they even have any of the chick that I want left. Well cashier phone lady doesn't know... she will find out she says. She cold transfers me to Livestock, where I'm confused and awkward and re-explain the story all over again. She at first didn't think they had any Wyandottes left, but I told her to look with the leghorns and sure enough there were still some there. So I explained being told to return the chick and she says "well we cant take a return that could endanger the others". I said well I didn't THINK so but the manager said. I went out on a limb and asked her if I could come buy one of the correct ones, and she said that would be fine, she could do that. I asked her if I left right that minute and came to the store if she could guarantee there would be one there for me, and she said yes. So I throw on actual clothes and make a dash down thereto get the chick. I got there and explained to her about how I had even asked the guy if he was SURE that chick was a Wyandotte and he had said YES. She asked what he looked like and I described him as best I could. She goes and points behind me and says... " Is that him?" I looked and indeed... I was about 85% sure it was him. I explained I was pretty sure but was paying more attention to the chicks. I didn't wanna cause a scene šŸ˜„. She said " Oh, he's our manager, if you had asked him about a Duck he'd have known exactly what you needed but...." šŸ¤£ I ask her to make sure the cashier will let me buy just one chick since the manager had told her no, and she radios up to the front and I pay for my little chickie and rush home with her.

:love

(She also assured me Leghorns were fantastic good chickens and seemed a little confused as to why I wanted a wyandotte so much but you know, people get their heart or mind set on something sometimes and it just has to happen lol)
Wow, what a surprisingly good ending to your story! Congrats all around!

You can't really trust TSC to have a good handle on what they are selling you. The employees are not "country folk", just standard retail employees. They stock whatever arrives. Not uncommon to put them in the wrong bins.

To most of them it's just a chicken. They often have no clue what beyond that. some know but most don't. Not their fault but it's what happens when big box corporate retail pushes mom and pop out of the picture.

I've gotten good birds from TSC but I prefer a true feed store. The "bird lady" there will know exactly what see is selling you.

I love leghorns, personally, hence my profile pic. They're fast, and they're "flighty", and very attractive, IMO. And mine have been fantastic egg-layers. They're not docile like my Orpingtons and Cochins have been, but they're by no means noisy or otherwise troublesome, in my experience. The pearl-white one I have now only ever makes a low whistling sound. She also lays large, clean, white eggs with gratifying frequency. If the hatchery were to take back your bird, which would surprise me, they'd almost certainly stick it in the chipper. There are probably (quite sensible) biohazard protocols that would preclude it's re-entry to th
You can't really trust TSC to have a good handle on what they are selling you. The employees are not "country folk", just standard retail employees. They stock whatever arrives. Not uncommon to put them in the wrong bins.

To most of them it's just a chicken. They often have no clue what beyond that. some know but most don't. Not their fault but it's what happens when big box corporate retail pushes mom and pop out of the picture.

I've gotten good birds from TSC but I prefer a true feed store. The "bird lady" there will know exactly what see is selling you.
In the future Ill try a feed store but it'll (hopefully) be years before I get more. I didn't know where any 'local' places were but I'm sure I can look around and find out.

If you're worried about noise then you may end up getting rid of your easter eggers instead. My 2 easter eggers are the loudest chickens I have. They literally roar like dinosaurs. I've named the loudest one karen. Shes such a complainer.
Our loudest was an Appenzelle Spitzhauzen. Cool-looking bird with mohawk-style head feathers, but lord, that thing would NOT shut up. She sounded like a big rusty gate opening and closing; opening and closing; opening and closing; opening and closing; opening and closing...

Back
Top Bottom