Sep 30, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Hello :)

I have a 13 week old FBCM cockerel with unknown medical issues. I took him to the vet and got no answers. I have an appointment at another vet July 6th... oof! How do I wait that long?! I learn the most and get all my best help on this website...so here I go hoping for more.

I started tube feeding my cockerel Friday with Exact handfeeding formula. I started out with just 10 mL and have increased to 30 ML a feeding. He weighs about 2.4 pounds (after a feeding!).

His issues perhaps start with Coccidiosis 5/14/20. He immediately responded positively to Corid treatment. I treated my flock with the severe dosage for five days twice with about 12 days in between treatments. During the second treatment, this cockerel began to have issues with stiff legs (sore legs?), leg weakness, and began to decline overall. He maintained a great attitude, ate, drank, flew up to perches and roost bars with his "sisters" but otherwise chose to hide in the run to feel safe and rest as his legs were very stiff. He seemed to be improving and then in the last ten days-- he has been declining. The vet gave me some Meloxicam. I brought him in the house five days ago and began to closely monitor, hand-feed and give him special attention. I decided he was starving and if he didn't start eating, I might as well euthanize him.

So I began tube feeding him Friday. He seemed to be stronger by Saturday mid-day and was walking around (very stiff and painfully) pecking the floor of his indoor home. He even ate some chicken food! He will eat all the cantaloupe and banana I chop up and put in front of him. I think the tube feeding is helping but I am completely a novice. Can anyone help me here? All advice welcome! How much am I supposed to feed him??

As a side note and perhaps unrelated... some aluminum foil was mistakenly left in the coop when the chicks were about 5 weeks old. While I was at work, they ate a bunch of it. Could this be what's causing the trouble? Some kind of metals poisoning? No one else has shown signs or issues... just this sweet little guy. Thanks for any and all help!

How much am I supposed to feed him??
He needs fluids, lots of them, so make sure he gets enough, like at least 55 ml of fluids per day. The amount of fluid you use in your tube-feeding formula counts towards this.

At his weight (~1088 grams), I would shoot for 33 ml 2-4 times a day. Weigh daily in the morning before feeding. If he is not gaining or is losing weight, try to increase.

Have you seen this video?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vUjFZRDp1W3eT9RWJVJ5DBKsFC9cMuYh/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
He needs fluids, lots of them, so make sure he gets enough, like at least 55 ml of fluids per day. The amount of fluid you use in your tube-feeding formula counts towards this.

At his weight (~1088 grams), I would shoot for 33 ml 2-4 times a day. Weigh daily in the morning before feeding. If he is not gaining or is losing weight, try to increase.

Have you seen this video?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vUjFZRDp1W3eT9RWJVJ5DBKsFC9cMuYh/view?usp=sharing
Thanks a million!!

How do I know when his crop is too full to feed him more? I've been skipping a feeding if his crop feels half-full. I'm scared of him aspirating.
If it feels like it still has food in it, wait until it's empty. Tube feeding is part art, part science. The science tells us how much, the art is knowing when to give more, and when to give just fluids.

Back
Top Bottom