Tuftex Paneling Install Help

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
Got my Panels today. Polycarb 'Smoke'.
The instructions specify the distance requirements for the crossbraces (purlins) - in my case max 36" on center for the Polycarb.
My question is this. The Purlins go perpendicular to the roof rafters. How many rafters should I have across a 9' span?
Thanks,
Steve

caf.gif

Interesting - please post pictures as you build this out!
Caroline
pop.gif

Are you doing the Garden Coop? That's what I'm building now and it sounds like we're at the same stage. I have 4 rafters across the 9' span that will be perpendicular to the 4 purlins.

Cheers!
Melissa

No. Not the garden coop. Just a run to go with my coop. Space is the same though - it sounds.
I have 5 panels to go over a 9' span. So you are going with 4 rafters making the space between each 21.6" - correct?
I also plan on extending an additional 5" on either end to support the extra half foot of paneling. (5 panels cover 10')
My run is only 6' wide with a 1' slope. I plan on having purlins/cossbraces every 2' although I can have it as much as 36" and be in spec for the Ploycarb.

Steve

Yes, my run is 9'6"x 5'8" and my rafters are spaced roughly 28". I think I have 6 panels to cover that space. I can't quite remember the spacing on the purlins, but whatever the tuftex instructions are, that's what I'm going with. Did you get that foam support to put along the purlin and under the tuftex?

No. I really don't see the need to. If all of our walls are open, what purpose do they really serve? Aren't they mainly designed to fill/insulate the gaps?

I could be wrong, but I do not believe they are necessary. They might create a snugger fit, but I am going without them.
Can anybody else give us some input?

Steve

I used tufftex panels for one wall facing the run (used clear)...the foam inserts are not needed and only act as a draft stop anyways....

YOU DO TOO NEED THOSE FOAM FILLER STRIPS!!!

You need to be screwing through the PEAKS not the valleys, and without the foam filler strips, you cannot get a secure fit (either you will be smashing the rib by screwing the screw down against the wood of the purlin, or you will be leaving almost an inch of free space underneath where the screw is tightened to, which allows the panel to wiggle in the wind and become damaged.

YOU MUST HAVE THOSE FILLER STRIPS UNDERNEATH WHEN YOU SCREW.

I'm not sure I understand your original question (about how many rafters) -- it has nothign to do with the roofing, it is a question of the general engineering of the structure. Number/spacing/size of rafters is all related, and comes down to what load (static load plus wind load plus snow load) you have to design for in your site. Your local municipal office could tell you what load to design for; then we can help you calculate rafter number/spacing/size.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom