TULSA area Cluckers

Do you have Marans? I'm looking for one maran Pullet for my backyard flock.

edit to add that I would also like a cream legbar.

Last edited:
Anybody want an Easter Egger Roo and an Australorp roo? I live in the city and don't want to be a bad neighbor and keep them.

Do any of you raise chickens for meat in the city? If so what is your favorite method of butchering them? Do you have someone butcher them for you? How much would something like that cost?

Do you have Marans? I'm looking for one maran Pullet for my backyard flock.

edit to add that I would also like a cream legbar.

Send a Private message to Rinda. I think she has both of those breeds.

As for butchering I don't know of any place in the area that does it. i wish as I like the idea of taking them my live birds and coming home with freezer meat. Not an area of chicken raising I have explored but I plan on it when I have enough to mess with.

Yep, she got in touch with me, thanks. :)

We have butchered one- not sure if we will do more. It was just after the heat of the summer last year which meant he was much skinnier than we expected. We don't really have the room to raise them up to eating size without irritating the close neighbors. But I hear over and over again, skinning is MUCH easier than plucking. There are some really good YouTube videos showing the process.

Yeah I just don't think I am woman enough to kill them. Found out that 2 of my 4 ladies are actually roos. Booooo. Will have to get rid of my EE roo and my Australorp roo. Maybe I will fill in the gap with a Isbar instead for some pretty green eggs. This building a backyard flock is an interesting journey for sure.

Anybody want an Easter Egger Roo and an Australorp roo? I live in the city and don't want to be a bad neighbor and keep them.

Do any of you raise chickens for meat in the city? If so what is your favorite method of butchering them? Do you have someone butcher them for you? How much would something like that cost?
I am in town, not tulsa city. I do raise some to butcher, so far I have only skinned have processed about 5 so far, not my favorite thing by any stretch, but like that I know exactly what is in this meat and I CAN do it, and no chickens were harmed in the making of this meat. (by that I mean good lives quick death). I have skinned them so far, a friend of mine in Maine says that she plucks right after death and has no problem getting it done w/o boiling water if she does it immediately, may try that and see, but I don't eat skin anyway soooooo we'll see. I chose the shoot mine in the head w/ a pellet gun. They are restrained in a "killing cone" type situation then shot in the back of the head, quick easy and they do not see it coming.

I am in town, not tulsa city. I do raise some to butcher, so far I have only skinned have processed about 5 so far, not my favorite thing by any stretch, but like that I know exactly what is in this meat and I CAN do it, and no chickens were harmed in the making of this meat. (by that I mean good lives quick death). I have skinned them so far, a friend of mine in Maine says that she plucks right after death and has no problem getting it done w/o boiling water if she does it immediately, may try that and see, but I don't eat skin anyway soooooo we'll see. I chose the shoot mine in the head w/ a pellet gun. They are restrained in a "killing cone" type situation then shot in the back of the head, quick easy and they do not see it coming.

I wouldn't have thought of using a pellet gun. Just assumed you would cut the head off and hang it upside down. I need to check out youtube to see whats done but just not something I really want to watch.

Yeah I just don't think I am woman enough to kill them. Found out that 2 of my 4 ladies are actually roos. Booooo. Will have to get rid of my EE roo and my Australorp roo. Maybe I will fill in the gap with a Isbar instead for some pretty green eggs. This building a backyard flock is an interesting journey for sure.

If you don't want to mess with roosters they are really easy to give away on CL. Although they usually end up in someones freezer that way. Just don't ask what the person is going to do with your roo.

I wouldn't have thought of using a pellet gun. Just assumed you would cut the head off and hang it upside down. I need to check out youtube to see whats done but just not something I really want to watch.
Most people slice or chop, I tried both and HATED them both wouldn't do them again. I got a lot of nay saying when I posted the idea of the pellet gun, but did it anyway and even though I still hate the whole killing process it is at least doable for me this way.

Back
Top Bottom