TULSA area Cluckers

Probably not much- we didn't even PLANT a garden this year just keeping the perennials alive- grapes, strawberry beds, boysenberry line, and 12 or so fruit trees and we are hitting 160ish per month.... and part of that is on a drip system that is water efficient! Sheesh!

Well of course all are welcome! I was out for little bit this morning. Came in about 10. Under the deck temp is under 100 and the hens are drinking and lounging there.
We're still getting bit of breeze from the south.
Family dinner tonight. We're eating ... EGGS. I' making a family sized Frittata.
Stay cool everyone!

Glad to see this thread start. I am from Broken Arrow. My husband is from Bixby and both of our families have lived in Hectorville. LOL. We currently live about 45 minutes south of Tulsa.

The current 7 day forecast really scares me! I have already lost several chickens to the heat. All were about 2 years old, but I have lost all of my absolute favorites. Heartbreaking when you have to dispose of them. I will be waiting until October or so when it cools off to replace them. Really into the lavenders and blues in a couple of breeds right now.

Hope everyone stays cool and doesn't overdue in the heat!

Absolutely come on in! :) It is so nice to see so many people finding this thread! The Okies in BYC is nice, but it is even nicer to have a direct thread with people in driving distance to share ideas, materials, chicks, etc!!

Spunkychickenmomma- this was me when I saw the forecast:
th.gif
Yikes! Everyone keeps talking about heat losses but we've had none- so far. I hope this week doesn't change anything... our coop is in the shade and has a very open design to catch all the cross breezes. I will let them free range as much as I can, too, but we are still working on training our dog. That's a work in progress... but we are making headway. One dog down and one to go!

Wow it's hot!

So I just gave my chicks some cold watermelon and now they are disgusting. Should I hose them down? My 9 week old buff looks like my RIRs. It got nasty quick. I'm new to this chicken stuff. do you wash them off, or will they take care of it themselves?

Glad to see this thread start. I am from Broken Arrow. My husband is from Bixby and both of our families have lived in Hectorville. LOL. We currently live about 45 minutes south of Tulsa.

The current 7 day forecast really scares me! I have already lost several chickens to the heat. All were about 2 years old, but I have lost all of my absolute favorites. Heartbreaking when you have to dispose of them. I will be waiting until October or so when it cools off to replace them. Really into the lavenders and blues in a couple of breeds right now.

Hope everyone stays cool and doesn't overdue in the heat!

I'm sorry, that really stinks. I really hope it cools off a bit after this week.

Thanks for the welcome ya'all!

Wow it's hot!
So I just gave my chicks some cold watermelon and now they are disgusting. Should I hose them down? My 9 week old buff looks like my RIRs. It got nasty quick. I'm new to this chicken stuff. do you wash them off, or will they take care of it themselves?

I wouldn't hose them down this afternoon, they could go into shock. But a deep pan of water they prob will be able to get most of the sticky off on their own. If that doesn't work you may have to hand wash their faces anyway, or the flies will pester them to death...

For heat control, I've been making a big "mud puddle" in the shade, 3 gallons worth, and the flock will lay in that in the day to stay cool...I've still lost a few of my older hens and several quail...which stinks a bunch. Good luck to all during this heat cycle.

Back
Top Bottom