TULSA area Cluckers

What is the process for getting NPIP certified? I am thinking about selling hatching eggs this spring and want to have this done by then. What is the cost and what exactly does the process entail? I usually sell my eggs for eating, but since I have some FBCM hens and roo, I am thinking hatching eggs is a better way to go:) Thanks!

You call the Oklahoma Dept of Agriculture and ask for Sherry, she will put you on the list. The tester called me in about a week and it was a week later that he came out. I kept the chickens penned up that morning and then I caught and held each one as he did a quick throat swab and blood test. Then I released them into the yard and grabbed the next one. He had to test all birds above 4 months. Paperwork and all he was here for about an hour and a half. $5 total for everything. All in all really not bad!

Good morning! How did you enjoy the snow? We got a dusting last night but it is already all gone. My kids woke up this morning so bummed because they wanted to go play in the snow.

Today we will most likely be making valentines cards and listening to audio books and put off schoolwork for tomorrow.

I also hope to plant our carrots and beets tomorrow. We have 7 trays of seedlings that I am also putting outside during the day to harden off before I stick them in the garden next week. Also, I hope (hope) to be getting the wood for our chicken coop next week. :) So exciting.

Have a blessed day everyone!

Lori I have you down for hatching eggs. Are you switching it to chicks or do you want both?
wink.png
You are 3rd on my list
I will take both please!
Thanks.

You call the Oklahoma Dept of Agriculture and ask for Sherry, she will put you on the list. The tester called me in about a week and it was a week later that he came out. I kept the chickens penned up that morning and then I caught and held each one as he did a quick throat swab and blood test. Then I released them into the yard and grabbed the next one. He had to test all birds above 4 months. Paperwork and all he was here for about an hour and a half. $5 total for everything. All in all really not bad!
Thanks for the info on NPIP testing Rinda! When summer gets here, I am going to give Sherry a call:) BTW, are you planning to sell any hatching eggs from your cream legbars? Once I get a broody hen, I want to give her some eggs - I prefer the hatching eggs, but I will look at chicks if I need to :) We are going to be moving to a new house in May so I don't want to set any eggs or get any babies until after that:)

Yep I sure do. Right now I am setting EVERYTHING for current chick orders, but by next week I will be ready to collect for others. Everyone on my egg list has told me to HOLD their orders for now... so you can jump right in especially if you just want a few. I got 11 CL eggs last week- woohoo! And I *think* only two of the three hens are laying.

Oh wait you said May... yes that's fine, just let me know when you're ready either here on this thread or send me a PM.

Rinda

I MIGHT be ready for chicks sooner. We are picking up the wood for our coop this weekend.... yipee!!

I obviously will be brooding them indoors for the first few weeks.....

When will your next hatch be?

Thanks.

Angela

How are you folks doing?

Yesterday was busy, I am spring cleaning, and spring cleaning again today. Plus I am knitting every spare second, I am trying to finish a shawl for a family member. And on top of that tend seedlings, :)

Have a blessed day!

Angela

I MIGHT be ready for chicks sooner. We are picking up the wood for our coop this weekend.... yipee!!

I obviously will be brooding them indoors for the first few weeks.....

When will your next hatch be?

Thanks.

Angela

Well I think I have orders for all my female chicks for the next 3 weeks. After that I should be able to get you some.

Going to the Coweta auction tonight- WITH hubby. We got burned last time when I let him go without me- he came home with a bunch of sick birds that infected ours and we lost a bunch.
sad.png
Gotta go be the chicken police to keep him from bringing home as many as we are taking to sell!
lau.gif

What are you growing? We skipped a garden last year (I had a newborn at the time). I was glad we did with how hot it was. Not sure but I think I'm only doing a small one this year even though we have a 75 ft x 55 ft garden plot.

Rinda

Back
Top Bottom