tumor?

rihanna12

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2020
hi everyone,
i have a hen who seems to have mild ascites. when you feel underneath her, there is an obvious sag in her skin with liquid which is why i am assuming ascites. except, i know that with ascites, you cant stick the needle in the left side because of organs and all of that. but when i feel on her left side, there is a hard lump. it is underneath the skin and it is hard for me to actually feel how big it is. it seems to be long which is why i am wondering if it is an organ or a tumor or something else. any opinions would be very helpful.
thank you!

Also, could it possibly be Ascites pushing her liver towards her skin. But her Ascites isnt that bad and I have been treating it. But any other ideas?

hi everyone,
i have a hen who seems to have mild ascites. when you feel underneath her, there is an obvious sag in her skin with liquid which is why i am assuming ascites. except, i know that with ascites, you cant stick the needle in the left side because of organs and all of that. but when i feel on her left side, there is a hard lump. it is underneath the skin and it is hard for me to actually feel how big it is. it seems to be long which is why i am wondering if it is an organ or a tumor or something else. any opinions would be very helpful.
thank you!
Also, could it possibly be Ascites pushing her liver towards her skin. But her Ascites isnt that bad and I have been treating it. But any other ideas?
Hard to know what you are feeling without actually being there.
Could be the gizzard? I don't know.

Is she symptomatic- struggling/uncomfortable, needing to be drained or are you just getting ready for just in case?

Hard to know what you are feeling without actually being there.
Could be the gizzard? I don't know.

Is she symptomatic- struggling/uncomfortable, needing to be drained or are you just getting ready for just in case?

this might be a stupid question but what does the gizzard do? Is it where the rocks are that grind up the food?
she is not showing any signs of discomfort. I am quite sure she has Ascites but it Is not too bad yet. I have been giving her the mix of acv, water, cinnamon, and oregano so i am hoping the Ascites calms down more since it has worked in the past for me. tomorrow i will go back out and feel it and try to describe it better but probably not going to be able to give you a more precise description.

this might be a stupid question but what does the gizzard do? Is it where the rocks are that grind up the food?
she is not showing any signs of discomfort. I am quite sure she has Ascites but it Is not too bad yet. I have been giving her the mix of acv, water, cinnamon, and oregano so i am hoping the Ascites calms down more since it has worked in the past for me. tomorrow i will go back out and feel it and try to describe it better but probably not going to be able to give you a more precise description.
would you think it is leaning towards being a tumor?
Yes, the Gizzard does have rocks to grind up food.
Here's some good info explaining the digestive system
https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-anatomy/avian-digestive-system/

There is no way to know if it's a tumor you are feeling or what. For me, if a bird is doing o.k. and not showing signs/symptoms of discomfort I leave them alone. Sometimes less is more.

1606828388366.png

Back
Top Bottom