Tumors, dead chicken.

Jessejjcm

Hatching
Sep 2, 2019
Our 5 month blrw died today. After looking her over I found a tumor under her wing as well as another one on her back of similar size. I sliced it open to make sure that it wasn't an abscess. We've had issues with a few of the flock mates involving their crops since they all experienced a respiratory issue in the spring. Other than the tumors there were no other signs of illness after I inspected all the organs. This morning she was slow to come out of the coop, but hadn't shown any signs earlier.

Attachments

• 20190902_122746.jpg
    20190902_122746.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 19
Welcome to BYC and sorry about losing your hen. Tumors can be caused by 2 different viruses in chickens, and there can also be tumors from other types. The viruses are Mareks disease and avian leukosis. Tumors can be in all parts of the body, in the digestive tract, along organs, and along nerves in Mareks. Mareks also can cause tumors in organs and on skin as well. If you still have the body and keep it refrigerated, it can be tested by the state vet with a necropsy.

Thank you.
Welcome to BYC and sorry about losing your hen. Tumors can be caused by 2 different viruses in chickens, and there can also be tumors from other types. The viruses are Mareks disease and avian leukosis. Tumors can be in all parts of the body, in the digestive tract, along organs, and along nerves in Mareks. Mareks also can cause tumors in organs and on skin as well. If you still have the body and keep it refrigerated, it can be tested by the state vet with a necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom