Turkey Attacked

Fluffbutts84

Songster
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
One of our hens has been acting weird, hiding under and behind things. Knew something was wrong, picked her up and looks like something got ahold of her back area under wing near bum. Looks like bone is exposed and some bloody meat. If we quarantine her and spray wound spray is this something turkeys can recover from although bone is showing or is this the inevitable where we should put her down. Not sure what got her and can't find where it happened as there are no feathers which I find very odd. Any insight is appreciated.

I used a vet recommend antibiotic spray for now. I can post pics tomm. It's already smelling rotting. This couldn't possibly happen when a Tom was mounting her, could it? She is significantly smaller than them.
If you have multiple toms in with a hen or a few hens, it certainly is something that a tom could cause. Typically the type of wound a bad mating would cause will be below the wing and in front of the leg sometimes being so bad that it is opened completely into the intestine area.

With bone and flesh exposed you have to be very careful that she does not become a victim of flystrike.

I really believe that is what happened. We keep the Tom's out of the coop all day, they only go I'm to go to bed at night. I feel so horrible for her. I'm the long run...is it best to do the humane thing or try to let her recover?
Turkeys are really tough and can recover from pretty bad wounds. They may suffer life long symptoms such as always having a limp. If you want to try to save her, do your best to keep the wound from becoming infected or filled with fly eggs followed by maggots. Blu-kote while not a pain killer will keep the area from being pecked at and can form a protective covering over it.

If she shows signs of going downhill, you can still use your preferred method of euthanization.

It's been done, yesterday we couldn't tell, today we could see it clearer. Poor girl... anything we can do to prevent this from happening to another hen?
Trim the tom's toenails. Provide the hens with saddles. Most importantly do not allow the toms to have access to the hen's nests and do not keep multiple toms with a few hens. I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens for one tom. A single tom can easily handle at least 10 hens.

Trim the tom's toenails. Provide the hens with saddles. Most importantly do not allow the toms to have access to the hen's nests and do not keep multiple toms with a few hens. I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens for one tom. A single tom can easily handle at least 10 hens.
Thanks, will get some saddles and do some nail trimming. Lesson learned :hit

I used a vet recommend antibiotic spray for now. I can post pics tomm. It's already smelling rotting. This couldn't possibly happen when a Tom was mounting her, could it? She is significantly smaller than them.

please do post the photos and make sure like elk said there are no fly strikes can you keep her alone tonight

If you have multiple toms in with a hen or a few hens, it certainly is something that a tom could cause. Typically the type of wound a bad mating would cause will be below the wing and in front of the leg sometimes being so bad that it is opened completely into the intestine area.

With bone and flesh exposed you have to be very careful that she does not become a victim of flystrike.
I really believe that is what happened. We keep the Tom's out of the coop all day, they only go I'm to go to bed at night. I feel so horrible for her. I'm the long run...is it best to do the humane thing or try to let her recover?

Back
Top Bottom