Turkey bed

mizgina

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
I have had a tom for almost a year. He gets out during the day and stays close to the hens and rooster. We got him as a tiny chick. We have tried everything we can think of and are worried. His sleeping situation... he will not roost... he will not go in a box. He just lays on the ground ... he can see the chickens they are right in the next coop. We put straw in the hen boxes where they sleep and lay. Is it ok to put down a layer of that for him to lay on? Will he be ok with never roosting? We have a large chicken coop and put him in there the last two night as he clearly wants to be with them. If the straw is ok... I will spread him out a place to at least not be on the bare ground.

Help!

By the way there is no conflict between the rooster and the tom.... yet. They were raised in the same space.

welcome-byc.gif
Putting straw down would be a good thing. Just clean it up periodically. Keep an eye on things. If he starts trying to mate the hens, it will be necessary to separate him out for their safety.

Is he a broad breasted variety? If so, they're too heavy to roost and simply sleep on the ground. Fresh bedding is great.

If he's not a broad breasted variety, he should be physically able to roost. Perhaps your roosts are too close to the roof or a wall for his larger size?

Thank you both for your help. I am not sure if he is broad breasted or not to be honest. This is the first turkey I have ever been around let alone raised. We got him as a chick. He is short and white, has black beard. I realize that is likely no help. He is cumbersome and I can't see him roosting, but I figured we had messed up. There is plenty of room over the roosts so that isn't the issue. Maybe he is just supposed to lay on the ground. I want to go what is best for him.

If you can post a picture, it should be pretty obvious if he is broad breasted. My tom is a pretty big guy, and he manages to roost without issue.

I think Reggie is a BBW. He looks much too large to be a Midget White. If he is a BB variety, he wouldn't be able to roost because of his size. They typically get too large to walk, let alone roost. My tom is a black Spanish, a heritage breed, and your boy looks a lot bigger than him.

I agree he's a broad breasted white. He's the turkey equivalent of a Cornish cross chicken. He's too large to get on or off a roost. Just make a good place for him on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom