Turkey Behavior Question

furbabies86

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
Hey this may just me being curious or just unsure. I have a turkey and yesterday she normally runs to the gate when we go to clean/feed the pen. She did but then she laid right in front of it and wouldn’t budge. Then today I let her roam in our yard and tried to get her to leave a specific area. When I tried to guide her she laid back down. Idk if she’s just being stubborn or if this is a behavior that isn’t normal? I just saw she had some runny poop. But I don’t think hers is runny all the time. Maybe randomly. Anyone can help! It’s my first turkey. Picture below so you see what she looks like

Attachments

• C1DB2BBC-6F45-402C-9CDD-2ADAFC43F518.jpeg
    C1DB2BBC-6F45-402C-9CDD-2ADAFC43F518.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Hey this may just me being curious or just unsure. I have a turkey and yesterday she normally runs to the gate when we go to clean/feed the pen. She did but then she laid right in front of it and wouldn’t budge. Then today I let her roam in our yard and tried to get her to leave a specific area. When I tried to guide her she laid back down. Idk if she’s just being stubborn or if this is a behavior that isn’t normal? I just saw she had some runny poop. But I don’t think hers is runny all the time. Maybe randomly. Anyone can help! It’s my first turkey. Picture below so you see what she looks like
It sounds like she is assuming the breeding position. She is ready to breed.

Ohh ok! I thought she was being stubborn for some reason. She’s our only turkey so she won’t be breeding haha

Ohh ok! I thought she was being stubborn for some reason. She’s our only turkey so she won’t be breeding haha
That is why she is "assuming the position" for you. Turkeys are very social birds and do best with the company of their own kind. Getting another hen turkey to hang out with her would be beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom