Turkey broke chickens leg! Help!

MoparGirl89

Songster
Jul 2, 2017
Wiggins, Colorado
My turkeys escaped theor enclosure today and cornered one of my 3 month old light brahama hens. I got out in time to save her life but they broke her leg. I splinted it and she is eating and drinking. I called our vet and her advice was to cull it. She is eating drinking and "talking" she is very alert and calm. I dont want to give up on her. What are the chances of her coming away from this and living a good chicken life?

Attachments

• 20180713_161608.jpg
    20180713_161608.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 21
Your hen will be fine, a like @anna-newhampshire said, a broken leg is completely curable!
So, the treatment depends upon how severe the break is. (start with the not-very-bad-break, and if the leg keeps twisting, take off that splint and try the next on)

For a not-very-bad break: First thing to do is get a popsicle stick, cut it to the length of your hens leg (or a little shorter), then grab some gauze. Put the popsicle stick agains the hen's leg, then start at the top of the hen's leg wrapping gauze to secure the popsicle stick. Careful, don't wrap it to tight!!! Once you get to the bottom of the leg, wrap the gauze under the foot and around the toes a bit to anchor it. Secure both the top and bottom with medical tape (apparently vetrap works well).

if the hen's leg keeps twisting with the popsicle-stick-and-gauze splint, take that off (by cutting it off, never pulling), and try this splint; this one is stronger. Get a piece of hose, like a watering hose, and cut a slit up the side. Make sure it is tight enough to hold her leg in place, but not so tight it cuts of circulation! Have another person pick her up gently, then you can wrap a bit of gauze around the leg so it has some padding. Again, be careful that you don't cut off circulation! again, for the gauze, start at the top of the hen's leg wrapping gauze.. Careful, don't wrap it to tight!!! Once you get to the bottom of the leg, wrap the gauze under the foot and around the toes a bit to anchor it. After wrapping the gauze, secure it with tape, not by tying it. Next, take the piece of hose and put it around the leg (this is what you needed the slit in the hose for). secure the hose with medical tape.

When the time comes to remove and/or check on the leg, cut the tape off, don't try to pull it off! pulling it off can re-break the leg.

If the break is REALLY bad, then go with the chicken sling idea. You only need a chickens sling for a very very very bad break

Well, I hope that helped :)

A lot depends on if there is an actual broken bone, if there is a compound or open fracture, and what part of the leg is broken. An xray would always be best to determine a fracture, if there is a local vet who may treat your other animals. Those are expensive though. A broken bone may require 3-5 weeks of splinting or rest. Some use chicken slings to keep chickens upright, still, and in front of food and water. Here is a good link to read about splinting broken bones, and what fractures may be best performed by a vet, or if there is a good chance of survival:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

She is doing much better. We tried her in a sling for a few days she was very agitated when in it and stopped eating so we put her back in her tub and she went back to eating and drinking right away. She is becoming a very spoiled chicken. She begs for treats when I walk by now. She can move her talons a bit now where they were limp and non responsive before. She also keeps trying to "stand" using her wing as a crutch since yesterday. I dont know if i should be discouraging her to stand or let her keep trying? She is a tough chicken.

Update on Poppy. She has been doing wonderful. She has a limp but it does not seem to slow her down any. She has become extremely friendly and is slowly intergrating back into the flock. We are still keeping her in at night because everyone seems to pick on her in the coop but is just fine when they are in the yard.

Attachments

• 20180725_141704.jpg
    20180725_141704.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180725_143057.jpg
    20180725_143057.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom