Turkey "cries" when she eats

leepsy

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
North Florida
I posted this in emergencies, diseases......etc but I thought someone here might be able to help. I would really appreciate it.

My five year old turkey has begun this strange behavior and I am concerned there is something seriously wrong with her. She "cries" or "squeaks" often when she eats. I really don't know how else to describe the sounds she makes. It is not an "I'm OK" sound. I noticed it months ago when I would feed her seeds out of my hand she would gobble them and then squeak as though she had gotten too many at one time. Now if I offer her anything, from scrambled eggs to crackers she will make that sound before she even eats and usually won't eat more than one bite. She doesn't seem to have lost weight but she has recently started going directly to roost at night instead of eating any treat I may be feeding the other turkeys or chickens. She will very seldom take any food from my hand but has no problem sitting in my lap for a long time.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be, or any suggestions about how I might look up something like this?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

ETA....I checked her mouth and I can't seen any injury or gape worms. It seems normal.

Last edited:
It sounds odd to me, but I don't know what the issue is. Unless something is stuck in her throat, or crop or something. Does she have enough grit? Maybe a silly question, but worth looking into. Might she have the type of fowl pox that is inside the mouth/throat? Is she losing weight? I'm really no expert here, but those are just a few ideas.

Back
Top Bottom