Turkey crumbs 28% protein

Betty-Eve

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
I have 1 turkey chick that hatched out of possible 6 hatched at the same time as a Jersey Giant (chicken) they are on together with a Polish chicken - I know I need to feed the turkey chick turkey crumbs which is 28% protein cant get any till Friday which chick will be 1 week old so feeding chick crumbs only 18% protein - will this be ok for a week - and can I feed the hen and the Jersey Giant the Turkey crumbs when I get them or will the protein be too much? Don't really want to seperate them as the mum hen hatched them out and is mothering them well (all wormed and on clean ground)

28% protein is optimal for turkeys but you can get by with less for a time. What I'd do it cook up some egg and feed that to them as well. No more than they can clean up in a few minutes once a day. 18% protein is a little low even for chicks in my opinion. I'd try to find some 20% if I could. You can keep them all together, but I'd try to raise their overall protein to about 24% or thereabouts. When they reach ten to twelve weeks old offer then something with lower protein such as whole grains as a supplement to their complete ration. This will allow the chicks to lower their overall protein intake so they do not develop too quickly while still giving the poult the additional protein it needs. Offer both to them and let them have it free-choice. They'll balance it out themselves.

See if you can get some food-quality soybeans. Grind them in a coffee grinder or grain mill to a coarse meal. Soy meal is about 45% protein. Whole Foods and other health/natural food stores generally carry soybeans in bulk. Soy flour might work in a pinch mixed with the regular feed, its kind of fine but perhaps enough would stick that they'd take some in.

Back
Top Bottom