Turkey Disease

Thanks for your concern....

The turkeys are doing no worse, but also no better. The sores are beginning to scab over with the Neem and Karanja oil applications and I took all the straw from their house. There have been no new bites since then. I didn't find any skeeters in the house or pen (I played lab rat with myself) so I'm actually wondering if they might be spider bites.

I have other chicks that need to go out since they are in my guest bath so my husband is building me an addition to the coop. I don't want to have them around each other and risk cross-contamination.

I am also having a problem with one of them. I found it with a broken leg last week so it's in a box separated from the other chicks. It's starting to move around more now, but is so small it worries me. I've had these chicks right at a month now and it's the same size it was when I got it from the hatchery.

It's never dull here

UPDATE...

Upon checking on the turkeys this morning I find that one of them is in very bad shape. The sores on his nose are so bad that he can't breathe so I'm having my husband see that they don't have to suffer any longer. I just can't justify going any further with this.

Now, my question is do I need to spray that yard with bleach before I open it up to the other chickens for their use?

Many Thanks for all the support.

M_M, I'm really sorry that they aren't getting better. I have not had those issues before so as far as sanitizing before letting the chicks out, I would start a new thread and see whar advice you may get. Good luck

I went ahead and sanitized the yard with bleach as well as their little coop after doing the humane thing.(After Katrina a few years ago Parvo started showing up all over our town and the vet said it was because of the flood waters. Anyway, before I could take the dog home from the vets I had to saturate the ground with bleach to kill the bacteria that caused it.) After letting the turkeys yard set for 2 days I opened it up to the grown chickens to use and built a new coop and yard for the babies.

I actually thought it might be spider bites, but I found no critters of any type in their bedding or coop when I cleaned it out.

I'm bumfuzzled.

Thanks for all your support.

On a good side... All the baby chicks are doing great

Back
Top Bottom