turkey eggs hatching under the mom

This is the one in the nesting box. The poult is smiling for the camera in the right, bottom corner!

Two poults have fallen out of the nesting box with the mother still sitting on eggs, I suppose. Can I move this mother hen and these poults and any possibly hatching eggs into the brooder with the other mother and poults? Any helpful suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks--

Well, they have not been enemies. Are you thinking that if I move them, then I can see if they are ok with each other? If not, I can separate them again? My issue is only having one large walk-in brooder. I would like to separate them from two other hens and a Tom.
Thanks! Melanie

Now a third poult has fallen safely from the nesting box. I'm only guessing that she has more under her, or hatching eggs, because she's not leaving the box when they do. I need to protect these poults from the other turkeys and the Tom. But, I can't move her til she leaves the nesting box....
Melanie

The other strange thing (to me) is that the one momma turkey in the brooder with three poults, moved her unhatched eggs from the nest, and is now sitting on them and the poults about two feet away. There was one pipping. I didn't think the hen would sit on eggs as they actually hatch. We are all thrilled about this today. Our nieces and nephews were here with us and our kids--perfect timing!

I suppose you could try just putting the babies with the other momma and see what happens before trying to move the other momma and eggs. I suppose if you put the chicks back up where there fell from, they will just fall again? Any way to keep them up there?

I think I'd try the poults with the other momma and see how that goes. If not good, then you may have to move momma and the eggs. Although, if they are secure and warm enough, they should be ok with each other, without momma until the others hatch.

Back
Top Bottom