turkey eggs hatching under the mom

You are nice to ask! I've been glowing all day--our kids have enjoyed it very much, too.
Between the two turkeys (RioG and Eastern) they have hatched 11 poults! There are about 12-15 more eggs and one momma is sitting on them along with babies under her. We decided to move the one turkey that was in the nesting box on the wall, to the brooder. She had already knocked out 3 babies from the nesting box, or they fell. We needed to have her with the babies and chose to not keep letting them fall down where she could not warm them.
When we did move her, 3 more babies were under her! Plus 5-6 eggs. The move to the brooder was successful and the two mommas are nestled side-by-side, happily.
We had the wonderful treat of watching one poult pip all day and break from the shell!
Those little rascals are fast! Running all around. I set out 1gallon waterers (with rocks so they don't drown) and starter feed.
As it is now, the mommas will eat and drink where the babies do, so they can learn. I'll add more pics......

I love updates! Lol They are sooo adorable. I hatched that one turkey with my 4 ducklings and the ducklings are awesomely cute, but something about that little turkey just melted my heart. She's 9 weeks now and in a bit of an ugly stage, but still beautiful. Dont know what I'm going to do with her, since she lives with 20 chickens and she's the only turkey. But she rules the yard for sure.
I'm glad you got the brooder moved down and all seems to be well. I worried a little about the mommas being so close, but I'm glad to hear its working out. And the kids being thrilled is so cool. We need more kids excited about this type of thing, so that's wonderful that yours are enjoying it.

Oh yes--perfect timing on the hatching! We had our two teens, four teen nieces and nephews and twin 5 year old nephews-- I'm STILL amazed at the fact that they hatched! They follow their mommas like nursery rhyme book pictures! I'm just in awe--we all are in awe. Our first time to let nature take charge. We have 30+/- chickens and plan to let our one rooster breed two chickens (same breed) next year. But these turkeys have been just toooo cool!!
I'm just concerned about the poults living. I'm worried about coccidiosis and every other issue. My chickens had it when they were young, so I'm sure the poults will get it-- I'll have to keep a close eye on them! I'll put them on electrolytes next week. Any ideas or helpful tips are appreciated. I like to plan ahead! Lol. Thanks for being helpful and interested!

Oh yes--perfect timing on the hatching! We had our two teens, four teen nieces and nephews and twin 5 year old nephews-- I'm STILL amazed at the fact that they hatched! They follow their mommas like nursery rhyme book pictures! I'm just in awe--we all are in awe. Our first time to let nature take charge. We have 30+/- chickens and plan to let our one rooster breed two chickens (same breed) next year. But these turkeys have been just toooo cool!!
I'm just concerned about the poults living. I'm worried about coccidiosis and every other issue. My chickens had it when they were young, so I'm sure the poults will get it-- I'll have to keep a close eye on them! I'll put them on electrolytes next week. Any ideas or helpful tips are appreciated. I like to plan ahead! Lol. Thanks for being helpful and interested!

I only have the one turkey, and she's my first lol. My sister in law has had several over the years though. I bought duck eggs and the lady had turkeys, and my SIL was wanting more turkeys. The gal I got the duck eggs from wasn't sure the turkey eggs were fertile, so she gave me 4 for free. 2 bourbon reds, 2 slates. So I incubated them with my ducks. One BR was infertile and I lost one of each early on, but when the final one hatched, I was plumb amazed! Had planned to give her to my SIL but just couldn't part with her! She could tell I had easily gotten attached, so she told me to keep her. My turkey's name is Gemma.
I'm most worried about blackhead since mine live with my chickens, so if you don't know about blackhead, you might look it up. Other than that, I'm not much help lol!

Back
Top Bottom