Turkey Eggs Infertile?

Update: They have now been laying for 3 months. I observed frequent breeding activity the first month. The second month Tom was courting his ladies every day and they were not receptive. Now none of them seem interested in breeding. They are still laying eggs.

First two batches were all infertile. In incubator batch #3 there were 8 fertile eggs of 24 and 7 hatched. The dates on the 8 were back to back. Batch #4 is in the incubator now. Out of 26 eggs only 3 were fertile and are looking good at 3 weeks.

I have tried some different feed combos and protein levels, and it doesn't seem to make any difference. They are currently getting 20% turkey feed with calcium and fresh grass.

Any more ideas to get them interested in breeding? I am considering whether to replace either tom or hens for next year or give them another chance?

Update: They have now been laying for 3 months. I observed frequent breeding activity the first month. The second month Tom was courting his ladies every day and they were not receptive. Now none of them seem interested in breeding. They are still laying eggs.

First two batches were all infertile. In incubator batch #3 there were 8 fertile eggs of 24 and 7 hatched. The dates on the 8 were back to back. Batch #4 is in the incubator now. Out of 26 eggs only 3 were fertile and are looking good at 3 weeks.

I have tried some different feed combos and protein levels, and it doesn't seem to make any difference. They are currently getting 20% turkey feed with calcium and fresh grass.

Any more ideas to get them interested in breeding? I am considering whether to replace either tom or hens for next year or give them another chance?
I would replace the tom.

Back
Top Bottom