Turkey hatching

ChickenFootFarm

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 25, 2013
Illinois
I hope that some of the more experienced folks can help me out. I am hatching Bourbon Reds and this is my first hatch. They seem to be one day late. I have one egg that has cracked a hole in his shell and is peeping, so I assume all systems go there. I have another one who is what my query is about. The egg was my biggest mover up until last night, it slowed down dramatically, same today. No cracked shell (that I can see), it does move but not often. Is he ok? I have a total of 12 eggs, there were 2 other movers earlier in the game but nothing for a while. Will the others just be late or is something wrong? What say you? Thanks in advance.

Well, I guess it was first hatch jitters, one hatched this morning and the other pipped late yesterday afternoon. My husband woke me up at 4:30 this morning to tell me we have a new mouth to feed! Now waiting for him to dry off and his hatchmate to make an appearance.

Congrats on your first hatch. The first few hatches make will make you very nervous and completely tie up all your time with your face being stuck to the viewing window. My first few hatches I slept with my bedroom lights on so I could see them through out the night lol.

Last edited:
Boy isn't THAT the truth. I have been a nervous wreck. Well, the first one has hatched, so I'm a little calmer now. The second one has been moving and peeping so I know he's alright. PHEW...what a week.

Ok, 2 of my 12 eggs hatched. The second one was having a LOT of trouble, she just seemed 'stuck'. So after re-reading the article that is posted on BYC about assisted hatch, I decided it was time to help her. I'm glad I did. Turns out her legs were stuck behind her head and she couldn't move her head enough to get out. Her legs look great, no bent legs or toes, so I think she'll be fine.
yesss.gif

The others haven't so much as moved in the last week.
sad.png
I think I will test them tonight and see what I see.

My very first hatch has been really cool and really informative! Now I can say I have one successful assisted hatch under my belt and 2 Bourbon Reds as well.

Yay 3 poults is still good. Glad the assist went well. I would still leave the other eggs in the incubator for another day or 2 before giving up. Better safe than sorry right.

Well, it's official, two turkeys.
woot.gif
I candles the other eggs after these two were hatched (nothing else was showing any signs) and either clear, or early deaths. This batch was shipped through the mail and almost all the eggs had saddle air cells and I didn't know to let them sit for 2 hours after I received them.
barnie.gif

Maybe a better hatch next year!

I let my shipped eggs sit for 24 to 48 hours before I set them in the incubator.
Hatched 9 out of the 13 Jersey buff eggs I received this past spring

zekii: That's what I will do next time. I didn't know about that and I'm completely new to this. I know a little bit more now, so I am planning on a better hatch next year.

kuntrygirl: Thank you

Only a week old and they are making attempt to fly!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom