Turkey in Brine

Chicken Woman

Incredible Egg
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Montana
Are any of you soaking your turkey in brine ? I am but not sure if IM doing it right. I have a 20 lb turkey and put in a cooler with 1 cup of salt and one cup of sugar. Covered with ice. How long should I soak it?

Why do you soak it in brine?....would you rinse it before cooking? Wouldnt the Chicken/turkey taste salty? Just curious.....Should the Turkey be unthawed first?...if your one of the unlucky people that dont have fresh Turks...or you only do this with a fresh Turkey/chicken that hasnt been frozen?..The brine is sugar and water.hm?..and what is the average time you would soak it for....thanks so much

2 cups salt, 1 cup sugar, one small onion, one head of garlic, 1/4 cup peppercorns. Mix all and bring to a boil, let cool, pour in cooler with enough water to cover turkey, soak for 24 hours. We had ours today and this is how I do mine every year and it was DEVINE. I cook my turkey covered, on 225 for 12 hours and it was falling off the bone when I opened it up this morning. JUICY and tender!

I had a fresh turkey and soaked in saltn sugar and water in a cooler with a bag of ice tocover for 12 hours. Then soaked in clear water and ice for 3 hours. Set on counter to reach almost room temp. Roasted covered 2o minutes a pounds with the last 20 uncovered at 325. It was DEVINE !!!!!!!

DH makes an apple cider brine with spices and salt and who knows what else. He soaks if for at least 24 hours. The turkey was AWESOME! I'm still stuffed!
tongue.png

Okay all yee stuffed humans....Can you only soak a fresh Turkey in brine or can you soak a frozen Turkey that has been thawed in brine also????Very interesting...I may just try this at Christmas...

You can do either fresh or thawed. I believv the mixture is 1/2 cup salt to
1 gallon of water. I usuallu use a little more. Salt is cheap.

Great ideas on this thread. I never thought to use sugar.

Back
Top Bottom