Turkey laying season

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by poultryfan73, Mar 13, 2010.

1. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    I have 5 turkeys currently 2 blue slate hens 2 blue slate toms and 1 bourbon red hen. When will they start breeding and laying eggs? And will the bue slate toms breed the bourbon red hen??

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    any tom will breed any hen. Generally turkey egg season is from spring to early summer. Some people have posted that their turkeys were laying in December. My Bourbon Reds have been laying for a couple weeks, the midget whites, not yet. They are in identical coops and feed, right next to each other. The MW hatched a month earlier. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Laying season is now. My turkeys have started laying eggs. I found 5 turkey eggs. The only thing is that my turkeys are not setting on the eggs. I will have to sneak the turkey eggs under my goose that is currently sitting on eggs.

4. poultryfan73

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    Okay so any week day or month from now i should start getting eggs? Will they sit on eggs after they get a clutch of eggs? Should i make a nesting mox in the corner? If so how big should i make it and what should it look like??

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I gave mine a medium sized dog crate, and they don't like it. They are laying in the dirt. I am going to put a big plastic dog house in there today and hopefully they will use that.

6. poultryfan73

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    Ok i think thats what im gonna do. Are the good parents??

7. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Are the good parents??

Some are, some arent. I can't wait for my new hen (just under a year old) to start laying!! She is new so she doesnt think the barn is safe so she needs a few weeks to settle in. I can't wait!​

8. poultryfan73

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    Quote:Some are, some arent. I can't wait for my new hen (just under a year old) to start laying!! She is new so she doesnt think the barn is safe so she needs a few weeks to settle in. I can't wait!

Good luck hopefully she starts laying for you soon!

9. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Thanks!

10. poultryfan73

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    No problem since i have two differnt breeds of turkeys what will the chicks turn out like if my blue slates breed my bourbon red hen??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by