Turkey laying season

The night after this thread was started, one of my bourbon red hens began setting on her eggs. The other hen is getting her clutch together. Hopefully, it won't be too long before hen #2 starts setting. I "found" her nest of eggs. She found a metal box to lay her eggs in. It didn't have any hay in it. The eggs were just laying on the bottom of the metal box. I noticed that she was away from her nest, so I got a few materials together (insulated curtain, cushion and hay) and prepared a nest that wouldn't get wet. I did the same thing with the other hen's nest on this weekend. I think she likes it. Both nests are on the ground but not in a secure area, so I secure hen #1 in at night by placing screened wooden pallets around her nesting area. I take the pallets away in the morning so that she can get up and get out and eat and drink when she gets ready. She decided to lay her eggs in an old cage that I had in the corner of the barnyard that I was going to throw out. Can't throw it out now because her nest is in there.

its middle of April my turkeys not laying I cant figure out why they r not laying I keep them in abuilding the tom turkey mating with them

A few factors can effect laying based on my chickens--- must be getting plenty of food with good protein, and plenty of water. AND sunlight--they need increasing sun light also. Hope you get an egg soon!

all 7 of my hens are now laying, 2 have made nests and are sitting...the other 5 seem to 'use' the others nests to lay in then walk away...i take out the extra eggs every day but would like for another hen to start sitting..should i 'make' a nest in the Turkey house between the others and put the eggs in? maybe one will take a hint....
i worried if they all go broody in the same box and try sitting together they gonna fight/eggs get squished....(i use old guineapig/rabbit hutches as Turkey nest boxes..just unscrew the lids and take them off...place the hutch in the Turkey house and hey presto...instant Turkey size nesting box :)

Back
Top Bottom