Turkey loss

Jaxx2

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2021
I need some advice on how to handle the loss of one of my turkeys
I've raised 2 turkeys together for many years, they've been together their whole lives and are very attached to eachother.
Unfortunatly one is sick and i'd be suprised if he made it through the night. I brought him to the vet and hes on medication but he is declining.
My second turkey seems to be mourning. I let him outside today and he kept calling and calling.
Should I let him see his friends body (if he doesnt pull through)
The vet diagnosed him with airsacculitis and coccidiosis (keep in mind im not too sure the vet was right about the airsacculitis part)
But for now i'll sit with him in his quarantine pen. Hopefully he'll have a quiet peaceful night.

An update-
Ari the turkey passed away quietly this morning. Im sad it ended this way but he was warm and peaceful until the end.
I wrapped his body in a blanket and laid him outside.
Im so glad his friend got the chance to see him, his reaction was amazing.
He started aggressivly pecking and pulling at the blanket Ari was wrapped in. He was very careful not to bite his friend just the blanket around him. After awhile he stopped, and ran his beak gently over Ari's back. That really suprised me, i've never seen him do anything like that before.
Finally we both stood quietly next to Ari. We're back in the barn now, Lemon is very quiet (which is unusual, hes usualy loud and aggressive)
I'll make sure to spend alot of time with him today. I think turkeys are more complex then people give them credit for.
Thank you all for the support
Screenshot_20220228-082851_Photos.jpg

I need some advice on how to handle the loss of one of my turkeys
I've raised 2 turkeys together for many years, they've been together their whole lives and are very attached to eachother.
Unfortunatly one is sick and i'd be suprised if he made it through the night. I brought him to the vet and hes on medication but he is declining.
My second turkey seems to be mourning. I let him outside today and he kept calling and calling.
Should I let him see his friends body (if he doesnt pull through)
The vet diagnosed him with airsacculitis and coccidiosis (keep in mind im not too sure the vet was right about the airsacculitis part)
But for now i'll sit with him in his quarantine pen. Hopefully he'll have a quiet peaceful night.
Yes, let the other turkey see the sick one. They do understand death.

you should probably get a new turkey if he does not make it i have heard that sometimes turkeys die of sadness.
I was thinking about that too.
Would one hen be enough? Im not sure if I have enough room in the barn for multiple more turkeys. Also, I was thinking maybe I should wait a couple weeks just to make sure nothing has spread and no more unexpected illnesses pop up.

I’m sorry to hear of your ailing Turkey. My red bourbon hen acted different when she lost her mother last year. Spent most of her time inside the doorway of the building for a long time and wouldn’t go out to forage. Finally, one day she joined my older blueslate hen to forage with her, and now she’s with her a majority of the time. I agree with previous replies that they do feel loss…. it’s sad.

Back
Top Bottom