Turkey loss

An update-
Ari the turkey passed away quietly this morning. Im sad it ended this way but he was warm and peaceful until the end.
I wrapped his body in a blanket and laid him outside.
Im so glad his friend got the chance to see him, his reaction was amazing.
He started aggressivly pecking and pulling at the blanket Ari was wrapped in. He was very careful not to bite his friend just the blanket around him. After awhile he stopped, and ran his beak gently over Ari's back. That really suprised me, i've never seen him do anything like that before.
Finally we both stood quietly next to Ari. We're back in the barn now, Lemon is very quiet (which is unusual, hes usualy loud and aggressive)
I'll make sure to spend alot of time with him today. I think turkeys are more complex then people give them credit for.
Thank you all for the support
Screenshot_20220228-082851_Photos.jpg

how is he doing?
He is doing ok. Aggressive and angry as always. He sticks around me most of the time.
I've heard a new call come out of him i've never heard before. I believe its called yelping?
Im also still on the lookout for any turkey hens for sale.

If you tell me a city your close to I could help you find one. If you want?
I'm located near Brainerd MN. The only place I've been checking is craigslist, not too many options there. Preferably I'm looking for an adult heritage hen. But I'll try and keep an open mind.
Thanks for all the help :)

Same I had a bourbon red turkey female and one day she had an infection and then yesterday she could not walk and passed away in my arms after having a seizure right before she passed. Should I get another female for the male? How long do turkeys grieve the loss of someone? If I get him another female,I am not sure about if he will like it because he did not give much attention to the one recently. Any recommendations on where I could get an adult female if we needed to go that route?

Same I had a bourbon red turkey female and one day she had an infection and then yesterday she could not walk and passed away in my arms after having a seizure right before she passed. Should I get another female for the male? How long do turkeys grieve the loss of someone? If I get him another female,I am not sure about if he will like it because he did not give much attention to the one recently. Any recommendations on where I could get an adult female if we needed to go that route?
It is best to have multiple hens for one tom.

They are all individual in their personality and behavior. Each grieves in its own way and the length of time.

If your tom was human imprinted he may not view turkey hens as potential mates instead preferring people.

Check local sources such as craigslist and locally owned feed stores. Local feed stores (not chain stores) know their customers and may be able to put you in touch 2ith local breeders.

I was thinking about that too.
Would one hen be enough? Im not sure if I have enough room in the barn for multiple more turkeys. Also, I was thinking maybe I should wait a couple weeks just to make sure nothing has spread and no more unexpected illnesses pop up.
Could always keep the new one separated for quarantining but still have them be able to see each other, and or hear each other? That way nobody gets sick and they still can have some company.

Back
Top Bottom