turkey nesting box

I have 3 toms and one hen. My purpose was to get some turkey eggs but got toms instead of hens. Im going to butcher the toms but would like to encourage the hen to lay in the same place so i can find the eggs. I can provide a house for her but cant keep the chickens out of it so, short of separatimg them, what works?

The chickens have de-nuded the toms butts and one has a deep wound so i will have a pro process them shortly.

What is Blackhead?

during laying season I keep my hens penned up. 10x10 dog pens. because they will find very secluded spots to try and hide a nest and never lay where you want them too. predators seem to find them before I do.

what I give my hens to lay in is large plastic doghouses. they seem to like the igloo style the best.

Nesting question...she is laying eggs on the top shelf of a 4 foot high shelf that we put in for a roost. 2 sides are open the other two sides are up against the walls (in corner of the house). She has laid eggs in the back corner on the top shelf. Then when we stays in the nest she has to snuggle the eggs with her upper half, she has them so tucked in the corner that it looks like she is "laying on them" with her neck. Is that normal?

I was thinking of moving them....
I have a box 22x18 and 10 deep, was just going to put it up there so she could be in it and get the eggs in a better position.
Am I silly?

Hens don't like their nest moved and usually won't accept another nest if she's already established her nest, sorry I learned by. Experiance

I had to move the eggs, they kept falling off or being pushed off the shelf. And none were fertile.
sickbyc.gif
I made a new nest on the floor with bamboo branches and pine branches along the walls and closing off the 1 open side, there is straw on the floor. Both hens fought their way into the house to be the first in the nest. No egg needed. They are still insistent in sharing the nest even though I am sure only one hens is laying. They are both totally broody. But our TOM is not doing his job.
So new nest worked.
Just wish the TOM would "work"

Back
Top Bottom