Turkey Poult Pecking Beak

TaylorB1216

Chirping
Jun 5, 2016
Hi All-
I'm new to the turkey world!
I recently purchased two Royal Palm Turkey Poults (approx 2 weeks old).

When I first brought them home just on Friday, I had them in a larger rubbermaid bin as their brooder.
We noticed that the larger poult was pecking the beak of the smaller poult - particularly around feeding time.
I figured maybe their living quarters were too cramped, so I moved them into an XL dog crate - the black kind with the bars.
They now have much more living space. I moved their heat lamp a big higher as well as they were roosting on the sides of their rubbermaid bin, so I assumed maybe the heat was too much for them (which I also read could provoke aggressive pecking).

Needless to say, they now have the larger living quarters, two roosting options, shiney marbles in their water and food to encourage them to continue eating and drinking.

That said, I noticed this evening that the larger poult is still pecking at the beak of the smaller poult.
He doesn't appear to be pulling out feathers, or pecking at the head, wings or vent of the other bird - strictly the beak??
Any thoughts on how to redirect this pecking?

I know I can snip his beak, but I wanted to try other options first.
Is there anything I can put into their living quarters to entertain them? (I heard boredom can provoke aggressive tendencies in turkey as they are very curious).

I just started adding chick grit to their feed so that I can occasionally add unique food items to their environment (different greens).

Any thoughts on how to curb the pecking would be greatly appreciated.
There has been no bleeding on the smaller bird, but I'd like to stop the pecking asap.
Thanks!
-Brooke

Young turkeys are curious and drawn to shiny things, even other poults eyes and beaks. I put shiny glass rocks in the feed and scattered on the floor to draw their attention and help them express what I think is a normal behavior. A mom turkey will often hold food in its mouth for the poults to pick out. Also you could add greens to peck at. I don't think there's anything aggressive about it, turkeys learn and they use their beaks to explore what to peck at or not.

Your temperatures at two weeks of age should be around 80-85 and if it's warm enough they can go outside in a smaller pen to get some sun and fresh air as well as mental stimulation on some clean dry grass. They could be bored and are finding things to do.

Thank you! I was very worried it could be the start of aggressive pecking.
I've added a poultry swing to their brooder as unique roosting location, and I've spread some marbles on the floor of their bedding.
Do you think it's too early to start introducing greens, as I've just today added grit to their feed?
Or can I add dandelion greens immediately?

Just want to make sure they're able to digest them properly!
Thanks again!
-Brooke.

I've always given mine spinach and dandelion greens pretty early. I haven't had any troubles with them digesting stuff, especially if they have some grit, I use sand when they are young. You might even try a mirror, maybe it will peck at itself all day. Turkeys are goofy.

Back
Top Bottom