Turkey poult problem! Please help!

barnwife

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
central Texas
I hatched out a few bourbon red turkey poults yesterday. They were doing very very well! Very active, they ate with help at first, and water, too...I had to show them, and I saw them picking at their dishes throughout the afternoon.

Around evening, they were all staring up a lot. I thought they were looking at the brightly colored ceiling fan or me, or dust int the air, etc.

Throughoutthe night, this has worsened into them being flipped on their backs, they are almost unable to sit/stand since their necks are bent backwards and their legs kick (spasm hard enough to flip them...the poor darlings seem to be too tired to flip themselves back anymore!

I am feeding them by hand, turkey crumble mixed with water to make a mash, and have made a "nest" of towels around each one so they cannot knock themselves flat on their backs any more.

Their crops are pitifully empty, despite hand-feeding all night and their pecking yesterday.

Please help! I don't want them to die!

Thanks in advance!

I don't know a thing about turkeys (except how they taste) but if you posted this in emergencies, I bet someone who can help will come along.

Back
Top Bottom