Turkey Poults flipping over

Akelly05

Hatching
6 Years
May 24, 2013
About half of my turkey poults this year keep "flipping over" on to their backs and can't seem to turn back over. I've had a few even die on their backs. When I see them on their backs like this I always turn them back over and they seem fine, but then later I might find the same one doing it again. What would cause only some of them to do this and what should/can I do about it?

About half of my turkey poults this year keep "flipping over" on to their backs and can't seem to turn back over. I've had a few even die on their backs. When I see them on their backs like this I always turn them back over and they seem fine, but then later I might find the same one doing it again. What would cause only some of them to do this and what should/can I do about it?
Welcome to BYC!

I'm new to turkeys, but the feedstore I go to has the same problem, and I think there is a name for it... FOS "flip over syndrome". Hopefully some of the more experienced here will comment.

-Kathy

If they have their heads bent backwards onto their backs when they die it is more than likely newcastle disease and will probably take your entire flock unless you get them vaccinated quickly. The best way to brood baby turkeys is up off the ground in a very dry environment that is kept clean (meaning new litter on a very regular occasion). Once the turkeys begin to molt into adult feathers they are pretty tough and can withstand most anything but until this time (they will be big poults about 1/4 - 1/3 of mature height) they are suceptable to many diseases and parasites unless vaccinated diseases and properly treated for worms. Most any online poultry supply will handle various vaccines and typically newcastle vaccines are combined with a bronchitis vaccine as well. Smith Poultry Supply out of Bucyrus, Kansas; First State Veterinary Supply; Twin City Poultry Supplies, etc... will have these vaccines and will ship them to you. I wish you the best with your turkeys and hope the remainder stay healthy. Blessings, Bo

I think you are referring to exotic newcastle disease (END), the newcastle disease I am referring to is not the exotic variety and is prevalent in all 50 states and is commonly vaccinated for by commercial industry along with mareks, infectious bronchitis and others. If your poults are exhibiting the post mortem symptoms I have stated above then it is most likely the common form of newcastle and will require vaccination to further prevent its spread throughout your young birds.

Blessings,

Bo

Back
Top Bottom