Turkey Poults Sick (Update page 3)

Heres the blood poop I found. Dont know who it came from. 20210610_152423.jpg

I actually don't know - used chick grit for years and I've never had any problems related to it. I wonder if I they mistook it for food and filled up on it? When you mentioned the bloody stool my first thought was coccidiosis, but I don't know enough about it to make any conclusions. (Besides, I don't think it causes hard / impacted abdomens.)

This might be a crap shoot, but you could take the remaining sick one and put it in an epsom salt soak for 10-15 min. (Don't syringe it with the solution; might cause more harm than help at this point.)

I'm really sorry you're having to experience this, especially with your first batch of poults. :( Keep us posted.

Last edited:
I've raised a bunch of poults before! This was just my first that I hatched myself instead of bought...

One is dead, the very first one (the one I thought was impacted) pooped and is still alive but not looking any better, and then 2 others are alive but exhibiting different symptoms then the first one. When they drink it looks like they're struggling. They declined within like 2 hours.

Last edited:
My bad, I didn't realize that. I honestly think you've done everything you can at this point - it's very difficult to pinpoint exactly what is wrong with them.

This is going to sound cruel, but - if you have the stomach for it - I strongly advise doing an autopsy. That will, at the least, possibly show what went wrong so you can prevent it in the future. I had to do it once to one of my favorite roosters. Didn't enjoy it at all, but was very grateful for what I learned. (He died of blackhead / histomonaisis.)

My bad, I didn't realize that. I honestly think you've done everything you can at this point - it's very difficult to pinpoint exactly what is wrong with them.

This is going to sound cruel, but - if you have the stomach for it - I strongly advise doing an autopsy. That will, at the least, possibly show what went wrong so you can prevent it in the future. I had to do it once to one of my favorite roosters. Didn't enjoy it at all, but was very grateful for what I learned. (He died of blackhead / histomonaisis.)
It's okay. Thank you so much for trying to help. I really appreciate it. My turkeys are my pets so I am extremely devastated over this, I'm sorry if I'm coming off harsh or anything.

I'm not sure I can stomach it, but I work at a vet clinic so I might see if someone there would do it for me.

We brought in a heat lamp and set it up instead. Its measuring about 95 at ground level. 2 are still lethargic. I don't know what I should do- I don't want to watch another one or two die. They have food and water at easy access now.
That is too hot for week old poults. I start my poults at 90°F measured at the bedding level. At a week old they are down to 85°F. As hot as yours are I recommend lowering that temperature to 90°F.

FYI, dead and drying tree leaves can contain toxic compounds. Cherry leaves in particular can be harmful.

Based on the bloody poop, I recommend that you immediately start treatment with Corid.

Last edited:
That is too hot for week old poults. I start my poults at 90°F measured at the bedding level. At a week old they are down to 85°F. As hot as yours are I recommend lowering that temperature to 90°F.

FYI, dead and drying tree leaves can contain toxic compounds. Cherry leaves in particular can be harmful.

Base on the bloody poop, I recommend that you immediately start treatment with Corid.
Yeah, they started panting so I immediately removed the heat lamp and just put them in a smaller container with the brooder plate again.

Good to know on the leaves. That might be the reason for one or two of them. The only thing is I didn't see anyone else actually ingest any- and now I've got two dead poults and 2 on their way.

I've got liquid corid in my cabinet. Do you know the numbers for it? I can start them ASAP. I don't want to give them the probiotics/electrolytes at the same time if I remember right, yeah?

Thanks for your help

I found the dosage for corid. 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days then 1/2 for 7.

On the drench emergency option, is it okay to give to them if they already drank vitamins/probiotics today? or do I need to wait? I also just gave them nutridrench. Do I have to wait on that?

No worries; I completely understand and didn't take any offense. :) I'm just sorry I couldn't be of more help!

ETA: I found this thread concerning coccidia and probiotics:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...after-giving-them-corid-for-coccidia.1210176/

The second post states:
You could give the probiotics at the same time. Vitamin supplementation should wait for the day after or it could interfere with the Corid's effectiveness as it literally starves the coccidia (a protozoa that lives in almost all soil) from being able to metabolize vitamin B.

If you are still seeing blood in the stools, I would continue the Corid. I think 10 days is the minimum treatment time.

Technically you don't feed medicated feed and the Corid too, as it is the same med (Amprolium), but the concentration in the feed is low, so it is simply over kill rather than truly dangerous.

So glad you were able to save the Barred baby. And, I agree, keep a close watch on her. After they have cleared this round of coccidiosis, you will need to rebuild gut flora with probiotics. I also recommend keeping a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, raw with mother, in the plastic water container. It feeds the good gut bacteria that keep the coccidia in check. (BTW, it would be a very early case of coccidiosis if it started at 2 weeks of age??? Usually coccidia take 4 weeks to go through reproductive cycle and build to dangerous levels, though some strains are faster. Often early onset illness can be from gram negative bacterial overgrowth left from hatching, eColi and Salmonella and Pasturella infections....but I'm glad the Corid worked.)

LofMc

Granted, this is for chickens, but I'd imagine this would apply to a turkey's digestive system as well.

No worries; I completely understand and didn't take any offense. :) I'm just sorry I couldn't be of more help!

ETA: I found this thread concerning coccidia and probiotics:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...after-giving-them-corid-for-coccidia.1210176/

The second post states:

Granted, this is for chickens, but I'd imagine this would apply to a turkey's digestive system as well.
Thank you so much! The two sick ones that are left are sleeping semi-peacefully right now, one of them stands up a little sometimes but then settles back down. I think I might let them rest for a little bit before I try to give them anything so I don't stress them too much, unless they start declining more.

Back
Top Bottom