TURKEY Question...Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chik-N-Crazy, May 15, 2009.

1. Chik-N-Crazy

Chik-N-Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    I have 5 turkeys that hatched last night and today. They are all doing fine except one. Here's the problem:
    - born 3 days before "due"
    - pipped and worked for a while but had to be helped b/c he was drying in the shell
    - after helping him out I let him lay there overnight, he became stuck to the paper towel under him
    - he will not stand up
    - his head bends back towards his back
    -he lays sort of on his side with his feet extended, head back, no matter how many times I turned him over he flips back
    - I thought maybe his legs were splayed, so I did the band-aid thing and sat him upright in a bowel with paper towels, he still flipped
    - I have given him sugar water and poly-vi-sol on and off through the afternoon
    -he also shakes some on and off
    - he seems alert and happy, he drank some of the water stuff and makes noise just like the rest but will not stay upright!!! his neck does seem a little less bent as time goes on
    What should I do?

2. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Well, it sounds to me like you are doing all can do. Keep up the sugar water and polyvisol. I think he will come around. He is probably exhausted from the hatching . Just make sure he gets plenty of water. Let us know.

3. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    How is your little turkey doing today?? Sometimes TIME is the best healer. Sounds like you were/are doing all you can. Let us know how the little one is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by