Turkey scald or dry pluck?

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
Do you scald turkeys for plucking? I will be butchering my 1st ever turkey in about a week, and want to do it right. Is it pretty much like doing a chicken just bigger?

Yup, just like a chicken!
smile.png

My grandpa showed us how to dry pluck a turkey once. But you have to do it while the turkey is still warm. If you let it cool down you are going to need to scald it.

We scald ours that we kept whole. Skinned the ones that we were cutting up. Our were so big we had to pour hot water into a huge garden tub (like you use to harvest veg or haul stuff around the yard).

Last edited:
I don't have a pot big enough to scald a turkey so I also heat water to boiling and dump it into a clean garbage can. I make sure the water is hotter than what I need and then add cold water to get the exact temp.

After we bleedout we will dry pluck the big flight feathers and the tail feathers. There is a huge market out there for them if you can keep them in a complete set. I have not sold any yet but looking at the web i will keep them just incase i find the right person...They have many uses......jim

Back
Top Bottom