Turkey Talk for 2014

As of now I have 4 out of 6 poults hatched but don't see pips on the last 2. End of day 26. I think my half degree drop in temp and lowered humidity in the incubator was to late to help this group much before I had to put them in the hatcher. Hopefully next weeks group will not hatch as early and loose more weight/ dehydrate more. I have now started weighing all the turkey eggs and will mark the air cell size when I set them. Do they need to drop 16% from their fresh laid weight or the weight they were when start incubation? I weighed a few tonight and was surprised to see in a week in a wine frig set at 58 degrees some have already lost almost 10 grams.
I usually gather and store for 7-10 to set eggs every week to week and a half.

Mine did the same when they started laying. Now I have 3 that lay nearly every day. I just lost a hen last week, so I'm waiting to see if it's my occasional layer, or my frequent layer. I got 4 eggs today, so I'm hopeful.

Good to know! I am excited and anxious to hatch and I'd like to set more than 3-4 eggs at a time!

I hadn't planned on breeding Bonnie Blue until next year because of her small stature and poor nutrition when I got her a few weeks ago. She follows my around like a puppy and is always under foot. Today she was extra bad and every time I reached down and petted her she laid down and it was all I could do to get her up before one of those times got her well I turned my back for 30 seconds and turned around and she and Rhett Butler were busy at it. She isn't laying, but I guess it isn't that far away.

I've been making a point to mess with my tom when I go out. I insist on petting him because he wasn't well socialized by the previous owner. No biggy - just means I get to play with him more! Well, he's in the shed displaying for me and the girls when I first went in. I checked for an egg and then went to playing with the tom (he runs until I get him semi-cornered and start petting him - he does give in and lay down). As I start to try interacting, Snowflake comes over between us and flops down for ME. Oh, poor tom, she likes me more than him... I ignored her and kept after the tom. I got him into is comfortable corner and start petting him and he lays down. Snowflake comes over and to investigate, lets me pet her chest and promptly flops down for me again! I patted her a little and then went back to ignoring her and just kept petting the tom. Silly hen! She stayed until I got up to leave.

Hi there. My kids are getting their first poults (BBW) for their 4-H projects next Monday. We've never had any turkeys before. We feed fermented feed to our chickens. Has anyone here started pullets with fermented feed or do you wait until a certain age to ferment their feed? I picked up game bird feed to start them on, but I wasn't't sure if I should start it fermenting or wait. TIA

Mine all get fermented right from the start. Chicks, ducklings, poults, keets, goslings...the only ones I start on crumbles for about 3-4 days are quail chicks. I use a 22% mix that my mill makes specifically for turkeys, but all of my other babies eat it too. For briad breasted, if you can start them with slightly lower protien (gamebird is often 26-28%), and make sure they get plenty of exercise, they their legs will be much stronger. The last 3-4 weeks before fair, pen them in a much smaller area & give them as much as they will eat. This fattens them quickly. I raised out a 30+ pound HEN this past year this way. She was penned with my chickens until she no longer fit through the pop door so got plenty of exercise.

I have a question.

Now, I know I have 2 different girls laying, maybe all three.  One egg is more white then the other 2 girls' egg, unless this is due to a lack of calcium (I have added it to their dish since they started laying).  I haven't been getting eggs every day.  I get one, then none for 2 days.  Then one, maybe two and none for another 2-3 days.  Is this normal because they are just starting, or...?  I was under the impression that they laid an egg pretty much every day once they start until they decide to go broody (if allowed).

I have 4 hens, 3 laying for shure & still only get 1-2 eggs most days. Then again, 2 of the darn hens are trying to be broody & I keep finding them sitting on piles of chicken eggs.

Mine all get fermented right from the start. Chicks, ducklings, poults, keets, goslings...the only ones I start on crumbles for about 3-4 days are quail chicks. I use a 22% mix that my mill makes specifically for turkeys, but all of my other babies eat it too. For briad breasted, if you can start them with slightly lower protien (gamebird is often 26-28%), and make sure they get plenty of exercise, they their legs will be much stronger. The last 3-4 weeks before fair, pen them in a much smaller area & give them as much as they will eat. This fattens them quickly. I raised out a 30+ pound HEN this past year this way. She was penned with my chickens until she no longer fit through the pop door so got plenty of exercise.
That seems like a better way to start a BB bird. I'd be very concerned that their legs would give out at the half way point if fed game bird starter. My gamebird starter here is 30% protein.

Quote:

I'm so jealous!! My 1st turkeys eggs are in the bator and due to hatch is 16 days!!! I'm so excited. I've never even seen baby turkeys!! I can barely wait! Like I have a choice!!!! Lol

Hi there. My kids are getting their first poults (BBW) for their 4-H projects next Monday. We've never had any turkeys before. We feed fermented feed to our chickens. Has anyone here started pullets with fermented feed or do you wait until a certain age to ferment their feed? I picked up game bird feed to start them on, but I wasn't't sure if I should start it fermenting or wait. TIA
I introduce it right away if you want to be sure they eat some every day. Anything introduced later takes a lot longer for them to try it. THey do race after the flies, but anything else is viewed with suspision.
th.gif
NO adult to say " go for it!"

I have a question.

Now, I know I have 2 different girls laying, maybe all three. One egg is more white then the other 2 girls' egg, unless this is due to a lack of calcium (I have added it to their dish since they started laying). I haven't been getting eggs every day. I get one, then none for 2 days. Then one, maybe two and none for another 2-3 days. Is this normal because they are just starting, or...? I was under the impression that they laid an egg pretty much every day once they start until they decide to go broody (if allowed).
Might be weather related.

As for the feed: I feed gamebird and it has plenty of calcium in it for turkeys laying everyday. Unless this bag you are currently using is having a problem. You can feed oyster shell on the side and see if production picks up. In my chicken hens if they lack calcium the egg shell is very soft but they keep laying.

Similar question as above except... My turkey has been laying consistently everyday for 6 weeks. Now she seems to be laying every other day for this week. She is penned, so lays in a brooder cage I added with a big comfy nest. Should I be concerned, or is she just worn out and taking it slow this week?
THey keep us guessing . .

Back
Top Bottom