Turkey Talk for 2014

Is there a noticable difference in patterning between a Eastern Wild Turkey and a Narragansett poult? The lady that I got my eggs from sells the Narris, Eastern Wilds & Merriams-of which I noticed all look similar as poults. Two of my poults have a great deal more dark down on their backs; is this normal? None of my 5 Narri poults had this much variance in color though I assume different lines certainly could. The colors on mine were the same, just each had a unique pattern. I'm concerned of the 4 poults alive after a disastrous hatch that 2 may not be what I paid for. Needless to say, I'm bit aggravated.
he.gif

On a sidenote regarding my hatch, what a disaster!! The Bird marked 'A' has blue eyeliner on his head so I could keep an eye on him. I had to stuff his umbilicus back into his body. I covered it with some aquaphor & a band-aid overnight, and it closed up just fine. I am starting the poults on Tetracycline today to avoid yolk sack infections. They all had open navels to varying degrees. I did some reading & found various potential reasons for this. The one that made the most sense was that since the humidity was initially too high and there was not enough weight loss over the incubation period, the yolk sacs were enlarged. Thus the poults were not able to absorb all of it and close their navels prior to hatch. We ended up with 4 poults and they seem healthy. I'm taking them out of the incubator today as they each had their exposed bits absorbed or dried up.

Bird A

Bird A

Bird A

& the second one...

Bird B

Bird B

Bird B

Together...

ETA:: The seller responded to my message just now and said they are 100% certain they are pure. He says they collect eggs at different times of day to avoid mixups. Also, that their different strains hatch lighter or darker, they also see this when hatching, but that they will be the same by 3-5 months with natural plumage.

Last edited:

Tom has taken over caring for his only baby, which isn't so much of a baby anymore.
Oh, too precious!!. Has the tom and poult been together since the beginning, or only after the baby got larger? I've been told that toms will kill poults, but I'm sure that some are aggressive to the babies and some are nurturing. My most aggressive rooster (to me) is very gentle to the chicks, and will actually defend the babies against me.

Help needed please,

2 of my poults are having troubles staying upright (both the lighter ones). First it was just the one with blue on his head, now both. They seem to walk ok, eat and drink and then they will stumble and end up on their sides (or upside down), often with heads thrown back. They cannot get back up when this happens and just stay there looking half dead. I thought it was Omphalitis and put some antibiotic in the water. I'm doing research and see nothing about poults/chicks with Omphalitis having balance issues or falling over. The two with darker coloration seem perfectly fine and are more active than the affected 2.

Any other ideas what it may be?

Thanks everyone

I think there is something called flip over syndrome in poults. @kuntrygirl wrote about it a long time ago, I think.

-Kathy
Thanks I found it; oddly enough I had read this before at some point in time but forgot. I kept looking for floppy chick syndrome which mostly brings up Mareks. Unfortunately I ran to the store for 40 mins and we lost one. It flipped upside down with its head in the water dish. I will see what I can do with the others. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom