Turkey Talk for 2014

Have got s surprise coming. Went to candle some staggered hatch turkey eggs.

Heard some peeping looked and an egg that should go to lockdown tues has an external pip.

I just set turkey and guinea eggs yesterday so my other incubator is full.

I gave a broody with a few of the same eggs should I put it under her or leave in incubator.

Have been doing dry incubation so humidity about 40 percent. Should I try and let it hatch without raising humidity.

This is my baby turkey with the chicks. First time out side. 3 weeks old

Cute, always nice to get them outside to play
love.gif

Heard some peeping looked and an egg that should go to lockdown tues has an external pip.

I gave a broody with a few of the same eggs should I put it under her or leave in incubator.

Have been doing dry incubation so humidity about 40 percent. Should I try and let it hatch without raising humidity.
If the broody's eggs were started at the same time, then giving this egg to her might be an option. Eggs under a broody often hatch 1-3 days earlier than in an incubator, so her eggs may be at the same stage. The disadvantage of giving the egg to the broody is that you can't monitor it as easily, so if it fails to zip within a reasonable amount of time, or gets stuck half way through a zip, you won't know it without disturbing the broody. And if the eggs under the broody aren't on the accelerated schedule, you could end up with a hatch that is staggered by more than a few days, which sometimes results in high losses.

Is it possible that the other eggs are several days ahead of schedule also? You could candle the air cells. If the air cells are large enough already, and especially if there are some internal pips, then you might be safe raising the humidity and putting them in lockdown early.

If you decide to keep it in the incubator to hatch, without the other eggs in lockdown and without high humidity, you'll probably need to do something to keep this poult's membrane nice and moist, and switch to hand turning the other eggs to prevent injury of this poult by the automatic egg turner. Maybe partially wrapping this egg in a moist paper towel, something like that. Sorry to be so vague. The earliest I've had mine hatch is the first day of lockdown, where I discovered the pip as I removed the egg turning rails. I have had a few incubator eggs that I put under a broody when a pip was discovered. All but one did great. The last one got stuck mid-zip, which I didn't realize because other chicks were also hatching under the broody, so I though that egg had hatched. I didn't discover my mistake until it was too late, and the chick had died with half a zipline and multiple cracks in the shell where it had pushed repeatedly, but was trapped by a membrane that was too dry and thick for its tiny strength to tear away.

If the broody's eggs were started at the same time, then giving this egg to her might be an option.  Eggs under a broody often hatch 1-3 days earlier than in an incubator, so her eggs may be at the same stage.  The disadvantage of giving the egg to the broody is that you can't monitor it as easily, so if it fails to zip within a reasonable amount of time, or gets stuck half way through a zip, you won't know it without disturbing the broody.  And if the eggs under the broody aren't on the accelerated schedule, you could end up with a hatch that is staggered by more than a few days, which sometimes results in high losses.

Is it possible that the other eggs are several days ahead of schedule also?  You could candle the air cells.  If the air cells are large enough already, and especially if there are some internal pips, then you might be safe raising the humidity and putting them in lockdown early.

If you decide to keep it in the incubator to hatch, without the other eggs in lockdown and without high humidity, you'll probably need to do something to keep this poult's membrane nice and moist, and switch to hand turning the other eggs to prevent injury of this poult by the automatic egg turner.  Maybe partially wrapping this egg in a moist paper towel, something like that.  Sorry to be so vague.  The earliest I've had mine hatch is the first day of lockdown, where I discovered the pip as I removed the egg turning rails.  I have had a few incubator eggs that I put under a broody when a pip was discovered.  All but one did great. The last one got stuck mid-zip, which I didn't realize because other chicks were also hatching under the broody, so I though that egg had hatched.  I didn't discover my mistake until it was too late, and the chick had died with half a zipline and multiple cracks in the shell where it had pushed repeatedly, but was trapped by a membrane that was too dry and thick for its tiny strength to tear away.

The eggs the broody is setting on came from the incubator 2 days ago.

She has been on nest and her eggs were due on 21st was able to xandle and they had died. She continued to set on a empty nest so had good eggs in bator and gave her 3 of 7.

If goes to plan should hatch thur/fri.

This little chick is in a hurry.

Moved pipped egg to lower area of incubator.
Put cup of water in and raised humidity to 65.

I gad to work so won't know how uts going till I get home in morning.

Got home and little early hatcher has got shell pipped about half way around and seems to be pecking well.

Fingers crossed he'll be out soon.

Just got our first turkey. The lady told me it was male. Never had turkeys but I have had chickens for several years. He is almost 3 months old he was feed scratch feed. Should I give him game bird feed?

Just got our first turkey. The lady told me it was male. Never had turkeys but I have had chickens for several years. He is almost 3 months old he was feed scratch feed. Should I give him game bird feed?

You don't have too. You can feed him exactly what you give your chickens. I too have a Turkey. Hen any way. She thinks she's a chicken. Cuddles into the silkie pile at night. She's just 3 months old. :) funny to see the VERY distinct turkey head in the middle of 14 silkies on the floor in the corner. Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom