Turkey Talk for 2014

ughhh... My BR hen has laid almost an egg a day for three weeks, I have taken her egg, leaving the fake egg in the nest every day... Three times now she has tried to go broody. I have kicked her off her nest twice, the second time being last night and then again just now. I can break her right by just continuing to remove her eggs and disturbing her if she is sitting the nest for more than a few hours?? I have in the incubator all the eggs her and her sister have laid in the last three weeks, and was hoping to sell fertile eggs before allowing them to attempt to hatch out their own clutch around June... Are they like Chicken Hens, am I going to have to cage her to break her or will what I am doing suffice?

"I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen as the representative of our country; he is a bird of bad moral character . . . like those among men who live by sharping and robbing, he is generally poor, and often very lousy . . . the turkey is a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America."
Benjamin Franklin

I have never heard of anyone even trying to break a broody turkey although I know if you remove all the eggs..including the fake one, she will try to find another spot to start laying a clutch. Daily egg collection is a must if you want her to continue to lay..leaving fake eggs in the nest is great to get your girl to lay where you want but not so great when she thinks she can just hatch those (you would think that a mother could sense the difference between a real egg and a fake, but obviously they can't). Once she goes full broody, it will be quite a while before she starts laying again...so get those eggs up and out of her sight until you are ready to let her hatch in June.

Thanks Kathy for the pic! I had tried googling it but the pics were all over the place. I am so happy it was not blackhead.

gevshiba I am glad you caught it quickly with out any problems.
I use the shelf liner in the incubator and then in the brooder for a few days then I change over to sand. :)

Holm very nice looking turkey. :)

I have never heard of anyone even trying to break a broody turkey although I know if you remove all the eggs..including the fake one, she will try to find another spot to start laying a clutch. Daily egg collection is a must if you want her to continue to lay..leaving fake eggs in the nest is great to get your girl to lay where you want but not so great when she thinks she can just hatch those (you would think that a mother could sense the difference between a real egg and a fake, but obviously they can't). Once she goes full broody, it will be quite a while before she starts laying again...so get those eggs up and out of her sight until you are ready to let her hatch in June.

Yep, been taking away the eggs she lays every day, sometimes as soon as she emerges, I have left the fake egg to keep her going back to the same spot. Its about time for her to lay as I can hear her calling and walking around... If she lays this evening and decides to once again try and sit it, I will take both the fresh egg and fake egg away.

First hatch of turkey. :) Bourbon Reds

Very cute! are they all BR's ? Why the color variation?

Yesterday I had the first ever poult hatch from our Mottled Black hen. The tom was a Royal Palm and as I understand the genetics, the progeny should be pure and one of the parent breeds, but the poult doesn't look like pics of either. Anyone know what she/he might turn out to be?

Last edited:
dheltzel there are three baby chick tudors in with the br poults to teach them to eat and drink. Thank you :)

Your poult is very cute but I have no idea what it might be.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom