Turkey Tractor??

snoggle

Chirping
7 Years
I've been raising chickens for a few years and love it. Mostly layers, but will be starting some Cornish X for meat next month.

I'm looking into raising a few turkeys next year for meat - Midget Whites, if I can find somewhere to get just 4-6 poults.

I just had a chicken tractor built that I had planned on using in my garden, but it is too heavy to move in the garden soil without a lot of modifications, so I'm probably going to raise the meat chickens in there instead, just on our grass. So, that got me thinking about turkey options.

Has anyone ever raised a small flock of turkeys in a "Tractor" or portable coop once they are old enough to leave the brooder? It just seems like a great way to keep them separate from my free-ranging chickens and prevent a lot of the problems I've read about.

Any potential problems with this?

I know it would need to be pretty large. So I'm thinking something more lightweight than my chicken tractor - maybe made out PVC instead of wood.

Other suggestions??

I use the PVC poultry tractor. I have 2 10x10x2 foot tractors for both chickens and turkeys as they are ready. I am using an 8x10x2 for a brooder. I found that coons can rip through poultry fence, so I am using 1/2x1/2 welded hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom