Turkey With a Runny Nose?

Break an Egg

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
San Antonio
I went out to give our turkey some stale bread and she pecked my hand and out came some clear snot. What could this mean? She is about 5 months and she also looks like she is limping slightly.

I don't know much about turkeys. Is she limping from a possible injury to her leg? As for the snot, do you have Vet RX? Hopefully someone can help who knows about turkeys.

this could be a sign of infected sinuses, or CRD...
does the mucus have a bad smell?

usual treatment for is Tylan 50 injectable, erythromycin gallimycin), LS-50, or Baytril.

No, it had no smell, she looks fine and later on I checked on her and she was doing this beep beep sound over and over again. I though oh man something must be wrong. I checked again and the spot where she had been sitting is a sand hole where she was taking a dirt bath. I will keep an eye on her to see if symptoms get worse.

I had a couple turkeys start kinda sneezing. Within a couple days one was wheezing and died, the other got massively swollen sinuses. I started him on LA-200 with immediate improvement and my other turkeys on a powdered form in their water just to keep them healthy.

I'm no turkey expert, but if the turkey gets worse or looks to have problems breathing, or swelling, or stinky mucus you should probably treat with either tylan or LA-200. Hope this helps. You can check out my post called "sick turkey" to see if there any other information that will help you.

Never injected a turkey before. Where is the best place to do so. Our gobbler is about 30 lbs and he has not been sick before. We have had him since November. Not sure of his age but we think close to 2 years old.

Back
Top Bottom